Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Transmission stand alone controller currently in testing, i have an 68rfe behind my vp44 cummins. my engine has enough mods to be pushing 450rwhp atm.. with that being said the stock trans with a triple disk converter held up fine with no slips.

we are currently working on the 68rfe with a built 68 rfe with a triple disk torque converter. with the pump regulator and pump work done we are able to see 280psi of max line pressure in all forward gears.

this system is not adaptive learning, meaning, the tuning takes a few lite runs with some logging , then send to the transmission tuner. he will the over look it and make final/fine tuning adjustments.

whats nice about it is the trans shifts smooth at light throttle then slightly harder on heavier throttle applications.- line pressure rises with TPS signal.

The kit to get started is available through jason at transmission tuner.com
He is the brain of the operation with his specializing in transmission tuning.

Currently the STOCK transmission is a proven product. for the HP guys, i am currently in the process of testing. id like to run it for 6 month before saying the BUILT trans is a success.

A clean and real write up will be made once we are 100% sure the BUILT trans is working.
for now though, The stock 68 is capable of 450rwhp with the PCS. - for those who are leaving their truck close to stock, its a great way to have 6 speeds.

Again, this trans acts like a completly different animal with the PCS, its not sluggish like the dodge programming,

Reactions: StealthDiesel

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mind me asking who set it up for you the first time? You can pm me if you prefer to keep it private. I'm seriously thinking about swapping a 68 into my 04 and talking to Jason at transmissiontuner.com I'm leaving my engine stock 305 HP it's a work truck needing better gearing. But might add a smarty in future. Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im actually the first one to buy off him. Ive had it for 8 months now.

We are currently working on software for a built 68rfe togethor. Once its prooven i will hopefully make a write up to support his product

I figured it out , i had to resolder different resistors on my switch circuit board for correct voltage when pressed for trip tronic to work your my chevy shifter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In stock form it holds great. His programming hold better then the dodge tcm. I was pushing at least 425-450 rwhp with no slip...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello im looking for a few professional transmission tuners that have experiecnce with the pcs platform and 68rfe's

Ive got a 68rfe stand alone with a pcs controller and harness. It worked great for stock form but when i decided to get it "built" with the pump regulator and valve body work now it doesent so much. My current transmission tuner is having a hard time with it. He had it close to perfect before (in stock form) but now it isent.

If theres anyone that had experience out there with reading transmission logs and writing transmission calibrations with the pcs software let me know. Again professionalisem. If already slipped my clutches a few times now and rather someone that knows these transmissions better

I really interested in this. What is your trucks current set up? I am going to be pushing mine to the limit here in the spring as I am shooting for 1400hp.

If you can what was the ball park price for it?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Id say the 68rfe is good till the 1000 hp mark thats it. The software we are working on my trans is a 550hp trans.- i have everything done to my trans execpt the mega drum kit from suncoast. But i dont boost launch... So i know my current trans can handle 650hp all day with the great tunning jason and transmision tuner offers. Again. I will make a forum post about it once its proven with a video. Thanks
Wont be seing it for another 5months easy. I really wanna put it to the test. I am the guy to run my truck like an idiot except boost lauches

·
Military Veteran
2,096 Posts
What happen to this

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This has been going quite well. At first we were having issues tuning the built trans, but now we have it figured out by the end of December 2015.
We were trying to shift the trans lock to lock from 5th to 6th even with max line pressure I would slip once in a while.

Now not shifting lock to lock the shift is super smooth and the slip has gone away..
I am confident enough in the product that, me and my buddy are swapping a 2007 toyota tacoma with a 4bt and the 68RFE will be behind it stand alone.

Everyone thinks the 68RFE is a bad trans, well its proven it self with the dodge tuning that it is.

Utilizing jason's Stand alone module, it seems to me that the 68RFE shifts completely different then a dodge TCM adaptive controlled. Line pressure can be controlled via TPS Which is really nice.

By the end of December i had to put away my truck for the winter. therefor I haven't been driving it. It will be back out in may i hope. The 4bt swap should be complete by then as well.

I will try and keep you guys updated on the module and such, We have come a long way with it and I believe its gonna be a great module

IF you plan on running a stock 68RFE it WILL work-stock should handle up to 450rwhp with a triple disk torque(that's what i had).

This thread is for a BUILT 68rfe behind some HP and torque.

I would like to shoot more hp and torque to it, if anyone would like to find me an HE451VE/VGT turbo, I think that would get me to 600 rwhp for further testing.

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
33 Posts
good information keep us uo to date

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NEW UPDATE. We Have made great success with the PCS controlling the 68RFE, Me and Jason have been working together since he himself is not interested in adding performance to his personal vehicles for testing. Ive been the ginnie pig at this time for this. i currently have a huge t4 manifold with a he400ve (VGT) turbo charger and this has really woken up the truck! Follow us at K&S Diesel conversions ON facebook page. most of our videos are posted there instead of K&S diesel on youtube.. we will make progress this winter on our youtube page and facebook, as of now, I have been really busy with other things in my personal life...

Ive been driving the 68 RFE like snott so far. Its been taking a beating,(you will see that on our facebook page) The shifts have greatly improved since the first day we've started working on this. Jason has been working on the lock to lock shifts as hes been pretty busy... ive been running it without lock to lock, once in 6th gear and lock up comes on. I'm experiencing a slip at times. I believe that the next step would be a mega drum from suncoast or a revmax billet drum they created for the 850 signature or even the 1000 signature...

As said before, The pcs is proven to hold for anyone out there that is pushing the average 400RWHP mark. He has sold a few units for under 400hp and the guys have been greatly happy with it.
Ive been testing above that.

Although, Budget is starting to get tight for hp upgrades. I'd Love to revmax or suncoast can donate 68rfe transmission upgraded input drum with clutches. We would be glad to advertise for them as progress improved.
I'll be also looking for some sort of sponsor ship to help crank out more power out of my engine to help prove the 68RFE. Again advertising would be more the done in all of our videos.

We also have a 4BT swapped in a 2007 Toyota tacoma with a 68RFE. that engine is currently VE pump powered and we are looking for a P-pump to then throw more power to the 68RFE. It currently has a HE351VGT turbo to flow HP. Our goal is 450HP from the 4BT. Any HP upgrades would be gladly accepted as for a donation.

If there's Any huge companies our there that would like to help us, Sponsor Us, send us a PM.
The more support we have, the faster we can prove the PCS TCM tunning for the 68RFE. Not to mention PCS is making a new module
with Adaptive learning Tables, Jason is currently testing the beta module and is making alot of progress with it.

As said any support would be greatly appreciated from the big guys.

Updates will be posted as time goes on. Stay tuned!

Reactions: StealthDiesel
3,159 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE: Today i was thinking about that 6th gear slip i would get at random times... The way the PCS RPM TAC signal is hook up on my truck is though my Alternator. I also noticed that when i got the slip in 6th gear i was at WOT and my TAC would drop out/bounce around... I got to thinking that maybe the Alternator is creating noise and screwing up the PCS.

What i did today to solve this- Instead of receiving TAC signal from my altornator, I stole TAC signal from my crank sensor...
That right there stopped all my slippage in 6th gear. Now idk IF it was frequency interference from A/C pulses. This definitely was it.

Now you may ask, Well why didn't I just hook it up to my crank sensor before...My Instrumental cluster receives TAC from my alternator. That's how it was designed in the 6.5TD chevy pick up's, There for I was stealing the TAC signal from my cluster.

Now seeing that I've fixed my 6th gear slips. We are now gonna start experimenting with the LOCK to LOCK shifts...May not get an update for this in a while. Just keeping everyone up to date on how things are going and how the system is performing.

One day i would love to swap out my VP44 engine for a common rail engine and really throw down some power.

ATM im in search of some big injectors for my vp44 engine to feed this 66mm turbo. Donations and sponsorship's welcome!:)

For all of uses that want to see the alternator bouncing around for TAC signal. I will have is uploaded on My Youtube channel. K&S diesel conversions

Reactions: jacb
1 - 19 of 19 Posts