Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am re-building my transfer case and was going to fill it with Lucas 80W90 gear oil which I believe is acceptable per the service manual and while researching the correct fluid to top off the transmission with I read that some people are putting the ATF +4 in the transfer case as well? Does this sound correct? What fluids do you use in transmission and transfer case?

1993 Dodge W250 4x4 A518 transmission and NP 205 Transfer Case

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I am re-building my transfer case and was going to fill it with Lucas 80W90 gear oil which I believe is acceptable per the service manual and while researching the correct fluid to top off the transmission with I read that some people are putting the ATF +4 in the transfer case as well? Does this sound correct? What fluids do you use in transmission and transfer case?

1993 Dodge W250 4x4 A518 transmission and NP 205 Transfer Case
you can use almost any lube in a 205. I would stay away from 80w90 myself, its to heavy. makes for hard shifting. I run CaseIH hytran in mine.

·
Registered
456 Posts
As stated the np205 will take about anything. I ran atf in mine for about a week. In my application it ran way hotter than I liked while towing (230 deg). I switched back to synthetic 90w gear oil and now the temps top out at 170 deg in the harshest conditions.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
I run 75-90 wt oil in mine and don't see any problem's .

·
Registered
134 Posts
I run atf in mine no issue but I don't tow heavy

·
Registered
120 Posts
In the transfer case I put in 90 seems to be god for my use but sometimes it is difficult getting it out of 4H. I just recently filled the Getrash with AF +4 and it shifts much better than the 5w30 I've had in it for a couple of years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The shop that built my 518 put in caterpillar 10wt hydraulic fluid.

·
Super Moderator
24,460 Posts
If you have the stock manual 5 speed you put 5w 30 synthetic in it and over fill by 1 qt.

·
Registered
120 Posts
5/30 is recommended if ATF is not available per the FSM that I have. ATF 4 is what Dodge supercedes for the previous ATF. I have noticed a significant improvement, not perfect, in shifting. I haven't towed anything yet so performance may change. Yet to be seen.

I got the ATF cheaper at Dodge than the local parts store offered. How often does that happen?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.