Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was hauling a load with my dad's truck, 6.7 cummins with auto transmission with BD pressure loc, and Smarty on SW 5 with all revo settings on 2.. I was towing about a 17K load up hill in 4th and all of a sudden this one red light, like a flash or spark symbol, came up on my dash. I can't really remember, but almost thought the RPMs jumped up a bit too. Would this light come on from slippage from possibly my torque converter? Are they that weak?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Lightning bolt......??? Not sure but I think you get that light when the truck gos into limp mode. I know one thing forsure that's a BAD light to see

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I felt the truck go weird for maybe 2 seconds.. Right aways checked for codes and nothing, no problems the rest of the way, and the light turned off as soon as I turned off my truck. The truck does still have all the emissions stuff so I was scared of EGTs maybe getting too hot?

·
Registered
894 Posts
The last time my truck went weird with a lightning bolt I lost my turbo and it went into limp mode. But I also had some more lights come on engine ect. After that I did my deletes with no problems since

·
Registered
894 Posts
I also got the dpf full message.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch.. about 350K total on 3 of my dad's 6.7s and never a turbo problem.. Maybe this would be the first one if we don't do the deletes soon. Got all the stuff in already just waiting to be put on. 43K-68K on this truck and never a DPF full message, 15-19 highway MPG...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hurry !!!!!!!! Do the deletes lol.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's probably right on the edge of destroying something lol, I might try to do it this weekend. The Smarty does turn off all the lights on the dash and the "catalyst full" lights right? My dad doesn't want all that stuff on like used to on one of his other trucks...

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would take it to the stealership first if you still have warranty. Get them to do a full clean of the turbo, egr ect. Then do the deletes as soon as you get it back. As for the smarty I'm not familiar with them. I know bm does it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would take the smarty off and try to smoke it past them.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure though why do the EGR clean if I'm taking it off, and why do a turbo clean.. Doesn't it practically clean itself?

·
Registered
842 Posts
lightning bolt is electronic throttle control warning light....you can't two foot these things or the light will come on....even stock with a load of that size I have to be real careful with throttle/transmission inputs...modded rigs and a big right foot would kill one real quick...IMHO

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm not sure though why do the EGR clean if I'm taking it off, and why do a turbo clean.. Doesn't it practically clean itself?
No it doesn't clean itself. It's going to be full of soot in there. And yes 2footing will also set of the lightning bolt.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No it doesn't clean itself. It's going to be full of soot in there. And yes 2footing will also set of the lightning bolt.
You mean foot on brakes and throttle with 2-footing? Cuz I obviously wasn't doing that up the hill lol. Alright I'll see what we do about the turbo clean thing..

·
Registered
894 Posts
That's 2 footing. The people that have 2 footing problems are super old guys and snow plowers

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess my foot could have slipped onto the brake somehow but I really doubt it.. My dad is totally ready to do the deletes now so they're getting done as soon as I have time! I guess now I'll have to start buying all the stuff for our other truck as soon as it hits 100K miles, unless we decide to trade in then already if Dodge comes out with something newer/better :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Don't wait for your outher truck to hit 100k the damage will be done by then. I would do the deletes asap. Your trucks will thankyou

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
The transmission does have some issues. You didn't describe any of them though. If the converter slips you will know it feels like your going over washboard on a gravel road. Be careful about running a tune while towing. Can't remember what catcher 5 is horsepower wise but I wouldn't tow with anything over the 30hp tune on the stock transmission. It has cost me about 7 grand for doing it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The transmission does have some issues. You didn't describe any of them though. If the converter slips you will know it feels like your going over washboard on a gravel road. Be careful about running a tune while towing. Can't remember what catcher 5 is horsepower wise but I wouldn't tow with anything over the 30hp tune on the stock transmission. It has cost me about 7 grand for doing it.
It's 90hp.. Did something break, or just slip? I know what the slipping feels like on my 5.9, and I thought something would slip on that transmission before it broke, but nope. We will be towing on less though after this one. I'm still amazed at how smooth and powerful this thing towed.. not used to a 6.7 pulling that hard and they already do alright stock, well except up hills!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts