Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 dodge 2500 Cummings 5.9. I have installed a Banks Ottomind tuner, exhaust system, high ram intake and a Airraid cold air intake. When I am towing 10,000 lbs stop and go traffic my trans temp's would go into the high 220's. I thought it might be my torque converter slipping so I installed a Banks torque converter and a deep Mag-hytec trans pan (filled with Amsoil) This didn't seem to solve anything. I am now planning on installing a Tru-Cool 4739 trans cooler. Does anyone have any other idea's

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Sounds perfectly normal if stop and go and hot outside.

What year truck?

G

·
The trans cooler is the best idea. Since its AMsoil, you may want to be sure you've got the best thing they have. ALso, 220 is about as high as you can go before injuring the fluid. The lower the temp the better, 180F is best.

·
Registered
573 Posts
if you can shift it in neutral, that will help keep them lower. As for mine its usually around 180, but stop and go it gets hot fast up to 220. Im also using amsoil and a mag-hytec deep pan.

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Read the very first line of his post.
Well I'm retarded. Wow. I spaced right over that.

Again, towing 10,000 lbs in stop and go and seeing 220° sounds perfectly normal. The Mag-Hytec DD won't help any in stop and go. It's just more fluid to heat up and then cool back off.

You already have two very good OEM coolers from the factory. The first cooler will not cool it any cooler than what the engine temp is since it is a tranny fluid/engine coolant heat exchanger. The second cooler that is sandwiched between the intercooler and radiator is very large. Adding too many coolers can put undue restriction on the cooling system and can actually cause the convertor to run hotter.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Most of the time your tranny temp will usually run about the same temp as the coolant, possibly more if the temp outside is warm. At least in my truck it does. Keep in mind though, if tranny fluid temp is too low it will cause shifting problems. My company work truck is a '99 F250 PS and the guy that we bought it from had an additional cooler installed on the truck and in the winter the tranny never heats up more than 100 on the temp gauge. I have to drive it around for at least 20 min before the truck will even go into overdrive. I wouldn't worry too much about the temp because Dodge intended that tranny to run where it is and if it does break it should be under warranty. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
where are you taking your guage readings; pre-cooler or post-cooler?

my guage is post-cooler so i can establish the overall cooling status of my system; if it gets too hot after its Cooled then i really need back down. but my cold readings rarely get over 150*F here in florida...

btw, fluid doesnt really "burn" untill it gets over 400*F or something really high. the color change is due to clutch material suspended in the fluid; or so ive been informed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts