Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wandering what the max tranny temp will be when I'm pulling about 17000lbs? Or a rough idea so I don't get worried when I start travelling!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wouldn't go above 220 so if you get over 200 you may want to start cooling her down. I've always heard 180 is optimum operating temp.

·
White Lightning
14,067 Posts
On a return trip from work Saturday, my trans temp stayed around 130*F after a 75 mph blast for 27 miles on I-75.....unloaded, according to my EDGE Insight (outside temperature was around 65*F).

Greg

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
the ambient air temp will greatly effect the operating tranny temp, using my edge for a guage i stay around 120-130 in the winter, air temp avg. 25 or 30 degrees, but in the summer i will see around 140 to 150 avg air tem 80-100 degrees, and that is on the highway, in stop and go traffic temp climbs quick, really doesnt like slow moving, needs a lot of air flow through the cooler.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Around town and on the highway empty mine stays right around 130-150 according to my edge

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
With heavy loads, hwy temps will stay constant 150 avg with avg 80f temps outside. As soon as you hit city driving, it goes up and wont stop. I can hit 220f within 15 minutes of stop and go traffic. IF your in s turn hills that you can go faster then 30 mph, you will hit 250f within 15 minutes. These trannies overheat way to easily. Ive never been over 250f and I have 150k miles on my stock tranny with avg load of 23k pounds behind me never empty so...... Im still rolling

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.