Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paccol, Greenleaf, anyone with a 2WD auto - info help please....

Since I'm rebuilding a 47RH to replace the sick 46RH in my '93, I thought now would be a good time to correct the speedometer reading....
Since I went with slightly larger than stock tires -- 285/75R16 mud and snow -- the speedo has been off :thud: - understatement....
I'm tired of seeing 45 and mentally saying 'slow down, you're doing nearly 50',, or worse cruising at 70 and realizing you're doing ~ 75....

So here's the problem :
When I bought the tranny, it had an OD for a 4WD - and the OD was in pieces....No sweat - I've got a good OD for a 2WD on my existing tranny, just swap it, right ?
OK - but my existing tranny is in use ! How can I find out what the tooth count is on the drive gear in the tranny? Can't do it. SO, does anyone know the tooth count on the drive gear??
I've read that MOST Dodges have a 13 tooth drive gear...What years that includes I don't know. If I get the wrong driven gear I'm no better off than I an now....

Any Help ?? :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
a little off topic, but 5 mph is off to you???? My rangers and tacoma are 10-15 off at times and I never thought anything of it.

I guess that's what happens when the freeway speed limit is 65, but the flow of traffic is close to 90 :thud: My speedo just makes me think I'm going somewhat close to the posted speed limit!

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts
Larry clean the speedo adapter on the trans. There are numbers on it. The number at the 6:00 position is the tooth count on the gear. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would like to know how to speed the reading up, mine reads about 8mph slow so you set 5 over and your really haulin' ace:peelout Anything I can do to fix this. I think the tires are stock but not really sure, just got the truck.
DS79

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Philip, I'll check that as soon as this cold weather leaves....
Boy, spiring come in, then on it's heels here comes summer....Now they're forecasting
:thud: snow !!
Well, only a couple of cold days and then we'll be back in the 60's where we should be :hyper:.
It's nice up here, but these winters are making me long for Florida - or even Myrtle Beach, SC....
Parts for the tranny should be in ~ 8 - 10 days...Next month REBUILD :beer.

PS Deerslayer1979 check the driver's door frame. Should have the stock tire sizes...Mine were 235/75R16 --kind of looked like o-rings in the fender wells..I like the 265 Pirelli Scorpions on the front and the 285 Mud & Snows on the rear. They both fill the wells nicely and the 265's don't rub when you hit the lock on a turn. Barely miss, but they haven't hit even coming out of my diveway - which has ~ 4" drop to the street.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts