Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m new to this forum and couldn’t find anything about this, I have a 2012 Cummins 200k miles. Keep in mind the truck as never been tuned in anyway. It’s completely stock and has been its whole life. Another note is the truck has not pulled any crazy loads. But next summer I’m taking 2 horses and a small trailer from NY-AZ.
Every gear shifts great, nice and quick shifts... until it shifts from 4th-5th and then the Rpms jump about 100-200 before it gets into 5th gear. It’s only when I’m on the gas at all. If I let off before it shift it just takes a second or 2 longer to shift but it doesn’t increase in Rpms when I’m not on the gas. And 5th-6th is nice and smooth. Please let me know what you think, I’m aware it’s high mileage. I’m towing my horses from NY-AZ in about a year. Thanks Again! I have a video of it if you want to send me your email I can send it to you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Worn clutch clearances or warped cross leaking valve body.I would pull the pan and check the condition. If clean I would replace valve body with a quality rebuilt valve body. Make sure the switch valve is oversized and has gaskets on it. Also a new solenoid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worn clutch clearances or warped cross leaking valve body.I would pull the pan and check the condition. If clean I would replace valve body with a quality rebuilt valve body. Make sure the switch valve is oversized and has gaskets on it. Also a new solenoid.
When I pull the pan, what am I looking for? Shavings or what? Also what is worn clutch clearances?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Worn clutch clearances are basically worn and a lot of miles. Auto transmissions clutches don't wear much, if they do normally they are burnt. Look in the pan for black fiber material, dark fluid, metal shavings.

If you don't have any trouble codes in the computer I would do a rebuilt valve body with a new solenoid.
Jarad Warren

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Hello, I’m new to this forum and couldn’t find anything about this, I have a 2012 Cummins 200k miles. Keep in mind the truck as never been tuned in anyway. It’s completely stock and has been its whole life. Another note is the truck has not pulled any crazy loads. But next summer I’m taking 2 horses and a small trailer from NY-AZ.
Every gear shifts great, nice and quick shifts... until it shifts from 4th-5th and then the Rpms jump about 100-200 before it gets into 5th gear. It’s only when I’m on the gas at all. If I let off before it shift it just takes a second or 2 longer to shift but it doesn’t increase in Rpms when I’m not on the gas. And 5th-6th is nice and smooth. Please let me know what you think, I’m aware it’s high mileage. I’m towing my horses from NY-AZ in about a year. Thanks Again! I have a video of it if you want to send me your email I can send it to you.
Shift flare, normal on a stock transmission.
Keep up on your regular fluid changes.
Use mopar filters.

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
335 Posts
Usually ATF+4 is red. Maybe some aftermarket brands aren't red but from my experience Valvoline, Walmart Super Tech and Mopar are all a very vibrant red color. Not sure if this is a factor...

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Usually ATF+4 is red. Maybe some aftermarket brands aren't red but from my experience Valvoline, Walmart Super Tech and Mopar are all a very vibrant red color. Not sure if this is a factor...

Just my $0.02
Maybe just broken down/worn fluid. It’s got hint of red if you wipe it on a towel but mainly like a orange color

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.