Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for my first long road trip this weekend with only a ATV in the bed. At freeway speeds (65-75) in 4th gear when the TQ Converter is locked and between 1/2 - 3/4 throttle the transmission starts shake or shutter. If I gave it full throttle it would smooth up or if i just gave it 1/4 throttle or so it would be fine. Doesn't do this in 4th before the tq locks or with the OD off and in third. Any transmission guys out there with any thoughts? Low pressure, time for new tq converter, OD going out?

·
Premium Member
18,680 Posts
sounds like low pressure or stoped up filter. could be a lock up problem and i am assuming your fluid is still good and not burnt. the tourque converter could have a problem. i was always told to get up to about 60mph and hold the throttle and press the brake for a couple of seconds and see if it unlocks. you will see the rpm jump up about a 100 or so. it also could give a surge locking in and out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! My filter should be good, and fluid should be good, I just changed both out a month ago when I purchased the rig. RPM doesn't jump around when this happenes stays right at 1900 +.

Dumb question which i am just starting to read about, sounds like the 727 have bands that need to be adjusted, which I should have done when i replaced fluid and filter. Could these being out of adjustment lead to this type of behavior?

·
Registered
491 Posts
my guess is the converter, this is common on stock trans with extra power.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I was wrong, it does it in third gear when the Tq converter is locked... it feels like its tring to unlock and lock repeatedly causing the shuttering. Is it worth putting a switch and seeing if manually locking the tq converter helps? or just get a better after market one?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Check the tsb on the computer, it might need a reflash. Also check the wires all the way from th TPS to the computer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the tsb on the computer, it might need a reflash. Also check the wires all the way from th TPS to the computer.
Checked TSB's and seemed to be ok. I will check the TPS wires when I get home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts