Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Transmission shops

2261 Views 28 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  smokindully99
Im looking to get my tranny rebuilt but not sure what shop to get a quote with. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Mike
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
6,585 Posts

· Free parts distributor
4,981 Posts
I used Advanced Transmission and gear in Lafayette for my old chevy. I would use Harry and his guys again.
They installed a shift kit on my ole 99' bout 5 years ago... 3 months after tranny wouldnt shift right... they told me it was my exhaust was too restricted!:shock::hehe::rof That it was causing voltage issues with the o2 sensors..

Brought it to another place, and when they pulled the valve body out it was a mess.... holes drilled in wrong spots, missing check balls, etc.... needless to say id rather ride my huffy then go there again..

· Mule Barn Proprietor
11,778 Posts
:ditto: I agree Chris.... I almost did a little business with them, until they started describing what all needed replacing over the phone, without seeing the car, and half of it didn't have anything to do with what was broke. :confused013:

Sam at ABAL TRANs is a nice guy and does fair work. I would contact Norwood too.

· Mule Barn Proprietor
11,778 Posts
i need some work done to and was looking advanced... is that a bad idea? they quoted me like 2300 to upgrad my tq and vavle body
They installed a shift kit on my ole 99' bout 5 years ago... 3 months after tranny wouldnt shift right... they told me it was my exhaust was too restricted!:shock::hehe::rof That it was causing voltage issues with the o2 sensors..

Brought it to another place, and when they pulled the valve body out it was a mess.... holes drilled in wrong spots, missing check balls, etc.... needless to say id rather ride my huffy then go there again..
:ditto: I agree Chris.... I almost did a little business with them, until they started describing what all needed replacing over the phone, without seeing the car, and half of it didn't have anything to do with what was broke. :confused013:

Sam at ABAL TRANs is a nice guy and does fair work. I would contact Norwood too.
:confused013::confused013::confused013:

· Registered
18 Posts
Same here... Looking for a place around Lafayette Louisiana that can rebuild my 48RE with performance parts. I just changed my oil and it seems I may have dropped the overdrive snap ring sometime in the last few months. Anyone have any luck with anyone in the area or should I just look at doing it myself?

· Registered
2,845 Posts
i need my nv4500 rebuilt too. :w:
I just swapped out my NV4500. Its a place in Dallas, called smart parts auto. It was about $1250 with shipping and i had it next day! With what the upgraded mainshaft and fifth gear and other updates wouldve cost me and time for me to rebuild it, it was cheaper and quicker through them. Hell just the oil for that tranny is $100, thats for 4 qts!!!:banghead: If you wanna go that route i still have the number.

· Premium Member
7,768 Posts
Same here... Looking for a place around Lafayette Louisiana that can rebuild my 48RE with performance parts. I just changed my oil and it seems I may have dropped the overdrive snap ring sometime in the last few months. Anyone have any luck with anyone in the area or should I just look at doing it myself?
Only problem with doing it yourself is...there is no warranty if the trans takes a crap.

· Registered
18 Posts
Stopping by ATC this afternoon after work to discuss what options they have. Spoke to Harry there and he did say that they have multiple stages based on Suncoast parts.

· Registered
1,092 Posts

Id research and do it yourself if your confident in your mechanical ability.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.