Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is causing this, it only rattles in park or neutral?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Is it the tranny, or the transfer case shifter? My transfer case shifter rattles really bad.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im pretty sure it the tranny, you can only hear it outside the truck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Same here

Same here, if I am standing in the bed, truck running in neutral, it sounds bad.

Also, when I am in 4X4, it makes some ... noises. Not 100% its normal or not.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
Trans flex plate. Drop the inspection cover and look for metal laying on top of the cover.

If you don't find any metal. Unbolt the converter and slide it back into the bellhousing. Then use a inspection mirror and a flash light and look up around the flex plate mounting bolts. If it is cracked you should see the cracks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What causes the flexplate to crack, I have put quite a few miles on it but the transmission was pretty much brand new when I bought it in October

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
Many things can cause them to crack.

Out of balance torque converter.

Improper torque on converter bolts.

Engine adapter not centered properly.

The flex plate not heat treated properly.

The steel composition was off during MFG of the steel for the flex plate.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been like this for a quite a while, is it possible the whole flexplate could fail or do you think it could wait a couple more months when i convert it probably to a getrag?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
If it does fail you will be walking. That flex plate is the only connection between the engine and torque converter.

Another thing to think about. If it is cracked and letting the converter run in an out of round configuration. It can and will take the front seal and pump bushings out.

It would be better to check it for cracks and repair it now if needed.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I broke a flex plate on a turbo 350 that was mated to a stock reman 350. It broke from the tires catching traction rather abruptly when I got outa the throttle after a burnout. I didn't know what the sound was and drove on it for a couple months before it broke all the way. I would never do that to a tranny again.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks im gona craw underneath the trck tomarrow and see how bad it is and how much is a new flexplate?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine is not that bad!

Wow, I feel pretty good after watching those videos, its no where near as noisy as the tranny noise in those videos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts