Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a tranny pan leak so decided to change out the gasket today. Dropped the pan, put on the new gasket and put everything back in. First of all, I added too much fluid as I thought it called for 8 quarts but after researching a bit it seems that 5 or 6 would have been good. But anyway, it seems to be leaking worse than before. Is there something wrong with my gasket or seating surface or are these gaskets not supposed to hold in excessive amounts of fluid. Not sure what the issue is and why I can't stop this thing from leaking!

· Registered
344 Posts
Did you buy an OEM reusable gasket? I made that error right after I got my truck a few years ago; bought a cork gasket when I serviced the tranny. It started leakingand I found out later the only thing that works is the reusable OEM gasket. Changed the fluid again with the proper gasket and that took care of it.

· Registered
59 Posts
:agree2:. I have always used the oem gasket and i have never had any problems with leaking that sounds like a good option. And that would be the cheapest place to start

· Registered
498 Posts
There is also three other places it could be leaking, The shift indicator switch (O-ring), the shifter (seal), the wire harness (O-ring) and actually a forth the dipstick tube The reusable gasket can be fussy you need to torque the bolts evenly the spec is 13 ft lbs

· Registered
5,872 Posts
Check to make sure you didn't overtighten one or two bolts. Doing so can make the pan warp and cause leaking. I always get them as tight as I can with just a socket on an extension (no ratchet) and then I start criss-crossing around the pan tightening them a half turn at a time WITH the ratchet. This seems to work for me.
You can also check to make sure you didn't push the O-ring that seals around the dipstick out of it's seat. I did that last time I had my pan off....

· Registered
498 Posts
All of the above mentioned O-Rings are on the case just above the pan shifter cables go to the shifter stem, that one has a Seal, The Electric connector (O-Ring) is just behind the shifter stem (both on drivers side) The Shift Indicator module is on the Pass side this also has a O-Ring

I wouldn't take any of this apart unless you have found them to be leaking. The Electric and shifter require the Valve body to be removed.

One thing I didn't mention on the oil Pan you may need to flatten the Bolt holes back down if the pan has been OVER Tightened, Just use a Ballpean Hammer and lightly tap over the bolt holes over top of a hard surface, you can see if they are raised up.

hope this herlps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.