Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 W350 dually and I want to be able to start making some more power with it, but it has the a518 so I need to fix that weak link before I do anything serious, as I'm sure you all know. My first choice would be an NV4500 but that's 2500-3000 for parts from the junkyard, so I can't really afford that considering I am 16 and make $8.50 an hour and play football so I don't have much time or money. What would you all reccomend? Would a 47re swap be cheaper? What about building the 518? I'm not looking at making a 600hp 1500ft/lb truck, I would be happy with 300/700 or something along those lines. I would be able to spend about $1000 on the tranny, but could save up some more if it is $1500 or something like that. Anyone got any suggestions??

Thanks,

Blaine

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
A torque converter and maybe a shift kit is all you'll need for that kind of power. Heck, you could make it on a stock 518. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
501 Posts
hey-Hey!!!,
After living with the stock converter ahead of a 727 I'd second the aftermarket converter option. That will eat up a lot ov your budget. If I was going to the trouble of putting a new converter in I'd probably want to re-band and re-clutch while it was out. When I was young like yourself( take no offense please ), my brother and I had found a trans shop to deal with for such things and it wasn't too expensive. Look around and see if you can find one to work with, that's good experience too...:)
cheers,
Douglas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts