Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a transmission leak coming from front of the tranny. Pulled transmission, replaced front seal, installed and still have a leak. Pulled back down, resealed pump and seal and still leaks. Replaced with new tranny and torque converter and it has the same leak. :banghead: You can drive truck, the minute you park and turn it off, after it cools off, starts pouring out. Oil level is on the money, in neutral. Even thought maybe the check valve had something to do with it. Replaced it and replaced oil cooler. Can someone please give me advice. Dont know what else to do....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Check the 4 inch hose connecting the two steel coolant pipes located behind the turbo next to the engine block. That leak can appear just like a transmission leak and it leaks as the engine is cooling down. There is a replacement hose and clamps that fix the problem but changing is a PITA.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the 4 inch hose connecting the two steel coolant pipes located behind the turbo next to the engine block. That leak can appear just like a transmission leak and it leaks as the engine is cooling down. There is a replacement hose and clamps that fix the problem but changing is a PITA.
its definitely not coolant. Pretty red atf unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Dipstick tube seals like to leak after you shut the truck off and the converter drains back into the pan, raising the fluid level above that of the dipstick tube seal. Happens quite frequently, actually.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Check the lines that go up the the heat exchanger on the rear drivers side of the engine block.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil is coming from bell housing area. Dust cover is off you can see it dripping out of there.

·
Spank Ur Cummins
175 Posts
Pump Bolt Washers/Seals?? probably not since you have had leak on 2 trans.

Just seems not to be from trans if you say you changed it, and the torque converter.

No vibrations from engine?? Something causing front seal failure?
Trans cooler lines?

From inside of bell is only 3 items: shaft o-ring, pump seal or bolt seals. But on 2 different trans, only "in common" part are cooling lines.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pump Bolt Washers/Seals?? probably not since you have had leak on 2 trans.

Just seems not to be from trans if you say you changed it, and the torque converter.

No vibrations from engine?? Something causing front seal failure?
Trans cooler lines?

From inside of bell is only 3 items: shaft o-ring, pump seal or bolt seals. But on 2 different trans, only "in common" part are cooling lines.

Yes slight vibration. Replaced fly wheel, all is well. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
358 Posts
How did the flywheel cause this leak? Sorry to resurrect this thread but mine is.leaking in the same spot. Going to check the dipstick seal as well. But wouldn't it leak from there instead of from the inspection cover/torque convertor?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I thought I was just overfilling the transmission fluid (leaking from the vent hole). I replaced the transmission cooler and now it still leaks under the inspection cover when sitting. It was leaking without even running. Is the vent hole below the torque converter seal? Now it's shifting a little harsher (it's about a 1/4 above the bottom mark when checked at 180F in neutral). I really don't want to remove this tranny again to check the seal but I think that is my issue. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
vent at approximately 12 o'clock, built into pump body, see

try and take some video, does convertor/flexpate wobble?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just thought of something on this leak. When I was redoing my rings, I had my transmission out for maybe 3 months, if not more. My torque converter was still in the transmission. Could the weight of the converter mess up the seal?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts