Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY HEY HEY! i finally fixed my transmission issues with the "bucking" at 40-50mph. i tried cleaning the grounds, i tried the aluminium foil thing. it never was totally fixed it only worked every now and then. I took it to a guy out here that works for dodge and he cut the grey connectors (2 of them) on the ground comming off of the pass battery. one going to the alt one going to the wall mounted pcm. he cut the connectors and sodiered the connection. WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!!!!!!

Reactions: wontgoslo

·
Registered
376 Posts
awesome:thumbsup: deff gonna bookmark this and try it when i get home. thanks for the info!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Ok so all i have to do is delete the connectors replace both with a soldered connection. If this works it should be a STICKY. Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
212 Posts
u got a pic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think i have the same problem I have a 99 dodge cummins with 112000 miles and between 1200-1400 and 40-47 mph my tach jumps up and down.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Power To The People

Hello.
Good post.:blues:
I do not have this problem.
The strongest resolution most often seems to be when some one puts on a pair of matching good quality batteries!!??:confused013:
Looks like you may have the root cause here!!??:party018:
Well others are sure to chime in debating this.:stirpot:

Hopefully we can have someone else with the same issues as you do the same things and get the same results!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
been about a week now and no problems. i put my truck through alot this week and no problems. i have done everything i can to get the truck to act up with it and nothing. Like i said all of the aluminim foil has been removed ect. and even with my new batteries last year that were high dollar, the truck still acted up. this has been the only definitive fix so far. Im at work right now for a 36 hr shift on the ambulance, ill try to get some pics up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its the two gray connectors that are inline with the cable on the pass side one going tawrds the alt and one going tawrd the pcm on the fir wall. delete the connections and sodier well. please please post back when yall do it to make sure yall got the same results. guy that did it for me says hes done a million of em with no problems

·
Registered
298 Posts
I read about this over on TDR about three years ago. I finally got around to doing this fix last fall when my trans acted up twice.

Don't forget to put on some heat shrink tubing with the adhesive if you can find it. Otherwise paint over the shrink tube with liquid elect tape.

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
In reviewing the wiring for unit. there is a black/tan wire that provides ground for both PCM and ECM. It would appear that corrosion/resistance in either of these gray connectors or the battery ground terminal, Or the block ground, it could cause feedback into the PCM and or ECM. I inspected the connectors on my truck and found them to be good quality sealed connectors with grease still in them and no corrosion or moisture.
IMO these are connectors that should be inspected as part of the ground connection inspection suggested in many other posts.
The problem is this repair will cure some units, I'm sure. It will not cure all. How can it improve a weak battery or bad diode or brushes in alternator?? I think not.
Please don't get my wrong or branded as a naysayer. It is VERY GOOD information and certainlly a welcome addition to the fixes others have found. The problem is "there is no one cure fixes all" as has been repeated many times. Nothing is better than a through and complete testing of components, wiring connections, grounds, and proper shielding in all cases. You have to get involved and hands dirty with this issue on units that are 10 years old and thousands of milage with no attention to all the circuits involved.
Again, thanks for the good input.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update. No problems yet! everything is doing good. seems to be a fix!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to let you all know I think i fixed my problem along with changing the TPS i also put in an APPS(Accellerator Pedal Position Sensor) it has been 3 weeks now no problems. Thank God

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Just to let you all know I think i fixed my problem along with changing the TPS i also put in an APPS(Accellerator Pedal Position Sensor) it has been 3 weeks now no problems. Thank God
Sorry but I have to chuckle, as a TPS and the APPS are the exact same thing!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts