Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok... I'm a lil' gal who loves big Dodge trucks... I'm on my 3rd one!!! I need someone's help on some transmission?/engine? problems...

I currently have a 2005 Dodge 3500 2WD dually with 4 speed automatic transmission (6.7L) with 164,000 miles on it. All stock - no mods.
Mostly all highway miles pulling a 10,000 lb. LQ horse trailer (Southest region with lots of hilly areas).

It seems to have lost a little torque in the lower gears and stutters (not really a stutter but more like a hesitation) between 1st and 2nd gears, as well as 2nd and 3rd gears. It doesn't do it all the time, but seems like it can't make up it's mind which gear it needs to be in. Can't tell if it's the transmission or the engine causing this. The engine runs great and is powerful and smooth although when I was coming back from Ohio a few weeks ago, it stalled at idle 4 or 5 times. I put some fuel additive in it and haven't had a problem with the stalling since.

It smokes a little only when it hesitates. There is no grinding or strange noises. Other than that it seems to shift easily once it gets over 35 mph. I usually have a manual transmission, but decided on an automatic this time around. As far as the torque is concerned maybe it's just that I'm used to the manual transmissions?

Could this be a torque converter problem or maybe the bands just need to be adjusted? I took it to the Dodge dealership and they said that no codes showed up, there are no leaks and everything is updated. I'm at a loss... any advice?

· Registered
748 Posts
Not sure.. but I think you may have posted in the wrong section. If it is a 2005 - I don't think it is a 6.7L. Try posting in the section for your trucks..

· Registered
172 Posts
probably the 1-2 shuttle shift there is a tsb for this covered under the provisions of warranty. It requires changing the governor pressure solenoid. I had the same problem on my 06 and solved it by changing the solenoid myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.