Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 2500 24v and i was want to switch my automatic to 5 speed manual. Could anyone help me where to start and what all i need to be able to get it done. thanks

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
This is not a good project. There are currentlly 5 threads in this forum trying to get their ride working somewhat correctlly. Problem show up in the electronics. Some can't get the dash to work and some have power (lack) issues. No two conversions seem to come out the same. So it is a toss up on what won't work. Something WILL NOT WORK.
Can't you find the truck you want without messing one up?

That said, there are plently threads on this subject. have a lookee see by searching for convert to manual threads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where i live you just cant find a manual 2nd gen. So i just bought this one and i want to put more hp in the truck and i know that dodge automatics are not the best so i was wanting to put a manual in. But if making the auto stronger is the best route then i could go that way.

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
That is a very good rethinking. You can certainlly build (or have done) the tranny to hold most any engine upgrade. The trick to good life with auto is not do stupid things and not expect to pay a price for screwup. BTW, the manual guys get in trouble also from their poor judgement actions.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
The NV 4500 is rated @ 450lb ft, the Nv 5600 is rated @ 560lb ft. I've played hell getting a reasonably priced clutch to hold up. You'd need a dual disk at minimum IMO, and they are pricey.

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
You are being to agressive. I have pulled GCW of over 35,000 pounds with no trouble.
It does not take 800 #ft of torque to move adequatelly. You will find that it is wasted effort to overpower yourself for trailer pulling. The first we see is wanting to pull a hill at 70 MPH, instead of letting unit pull down like the big dogs do. Slow down and smell the roses, so to speak.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is a very good rethinking. You can certainlly build (or have done) the tranny to hold most any engine upgrade. The trick to good life with auto is not do stupid things and not expect to pay a price for screwup. BTW, the manual guys get in trouble also from their poor judgement actions.
Dozer I'm curious as to what you mean when u say "Manual guys get in trouble also from their poor judgement actions.":confused013:

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
"Manual guys get in trouble also from their poor judgement actions

A poster on forum is gonna have to spend near 2000 dollars for pulling a ota 40 feet out of mud. I'm sure he slipped the clutch because of good traction or trying to pull to fast.
DD installers complain that clutchs are agressive and noisy. Others just let them slip and haven't a clue when it goes out a month later.
Transmissions grenade from overloading in 5 th gear.
Bearings wear out from no maintaince and syncros wear out from wrong lube.
Shafts break from dumping clutch and or rear ends grenade from overpowering.
Just a few of diagnois from failures have seen.

Reactions: Michigan24v
1 - 10 of 10 Posts