Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you switch a automatic transmission with a 5 speed or 6 speed straight drive? if your makin alot of upgrades which would be smarter way to go?

2,402 Posts
depends on what u want to do with the truck. if your racing, prolly want to stick with a built auto, other wise if your pulling or just like a manual, swap her out. did it in my truck and would never go back.

Its cheaper to change a clutch then replace a torque converter or rebuild a auto trans

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a straight drive is better for gas mileage isnt it?my trans is acting wierd when it gets into overdrive.when i keep it around 55 it starts to jump back and forth to drive and overdrive it seems like.i changed the fluid and filter and i found some small metal shavings.idk what that means though

·
Registered
432 Posts
a straight drive is better for gas mileage isnt it?my trans is acting wierd when it gets into overdrive.when i keep it around 55 it starts to jump back and forth to drive and overdrive it seems like.i changed the fluid and filter and i found some small metal shavings.idk what that means though
Not sure what your refering to when you say straight drive. A manula transmission has a more direct link to the wheels then an automatic transmission does, up untill the point that the torque converter clutch locks up, after that they are both mechanicall linked. If your trying to drag race the truck, then an automatic transmission will be faster, if your going to pull with it a stick shift is probably better suited. Automatics do cost LOTS of money to have built though. It is not un-commen to hear of people spending $6000 plus for a built automatic. I personally prefer the feel and the interaction a manual transmission gives. It really boils down to personal preferance.

·
Registered
432 Posts
does anybody know what could be wrong?
No expert of Automatics, but since you say it's jumping back and forth in and out of overdrive at around 55 miles per hour, yuo may want to have the throttle position sensor checked out and or adjusted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts