Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well My tranny finaly gave up and quit. it sounds like it was the torque converter and it did a really number to it. I am thinkin about a suncoast rebuild to a stage 3 but not sure what would yall recommend. If I had the :$: I would do a whole new tranny and if it were in colo I would love to have and ats but s#%@ happens right? anyway I would apreciate some input on the tranny situation thanks guys.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All I know is what I have been told by a guy at a parts store. Fred West at F & S transmission in Arvada. 303-421-3166 or 303-995-0347. He said he worked at ATS and went solo and is cheaper.

In Parker there is Parker transmission and Gear. Small shop that has been here a while and everyone knows him. Has a real good reputation. They want 2500 for a complete rebuild.

Or go here Goerend Transmission Incorporated. They make a good unit considered the best by many.

Good luck.

Call John about a BD unit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Talk to John at Holland Court Diesel Performance. He can help get you back on the road. Very knowledgable and will treat you right.

·
Registered
153 Posts
GOEREND! cheap and the best qulity and customer service

·
Registered
129 Posts
With you mods I wouldn't go with Goerends unless you want overkill for your transmission. Unless you plan on making over 500 horses then I would think BD and some of the cheaper ones would work great for you.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
yeah.. Just a touch over 500hp Hummmm... I can't wait until you get her all dialed in! That tranny shifts sweet too.. with that new performance valve body!

·
Registered
555 Posts
ive heard nothing but good about all! i was looking at a suncoast cause i heard they are extremely durable... but i forgot that my local AUTO mechanic specialized in 518/618/46/478rh and 47rhs! needless to say i was excited to get the vacuum pump leak fixed, the fuel leak fixed AND the transmission done all at the same time when the trans am gets sold!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Give LazerBob a call or pm him. He is a DTT dealer in greeley. It is nice to have the builder close by for any adjustments or questions and less shipping. DTT is great and you don't have to get that heavy tripple disk that some people think they "just have to have".

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I cooked my factory t/c also. I went with a suncoast triple disc t/c, valve body, and extreme duty rebuild kit, along with a mag-hytec double deep trans pan, and love it. Minor issues with it but none were suncoast issues, Overdrive selnoid, pressure sensor, govenor filter failed at different times and are dealer parts only. I've sled pulled with it a couple of times and when it locks up it stays locked up until I let off. Goerend was my other choice. I just couldn't get a hold of him fast enough to get one. I've heard nothing bad of those. IMO either one would be a good choice.:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Give LazerBob a call or pm him. He is a DTT dealer in greeley. It is nice to have the builder close by for any adjustments or questions and less shipping. DTT is great and you don't have to get that heavy tripple disk that some people think they "just have to have".
Bob is a top notch guy for sure. And i here ya about the triple disc clutch stuff. Love my single plate dual surface converter:woot:

Locks up good and less chance of shaft breakage

John:thumbsup

·
Registered
143 Posts
I talked with the Fred West today. He said 1200-1400 for a complete rebuild. He was a trans guy for ATS before going solo. He has done trans work for over 20 years. The trans will include a new TC, VB rebuild and new electronics. He will make sure the trans circulates fluid while in park. I am going to meet with him about a new trans to pull a 5th wheel over the mountains. Seemed like a good guy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That price seems really low.I would question that. Compare that price and parts to all the other Trannies.

·
Registered
143 Posts
He said he does not mark up the price on any parts. He will let you see how much he paid for parts. His TCs are custom made in Denver by a guy he knows that has been doing it for a long time. All he charges you for is the price of labor.

Give the guy a call. Go talk to him. Let me know what you think. Like I said I have never met Fred. A guy at the parts store that has had him do work for him had nothing but positive comments and swears by his work.

I welcome any feed back.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I guess if you are going all stock quality parts then that is a great deal. When ever you see somebody selling something for 60% or more less then everyone else it just makes you wonder what is up. A billit input shaft will run $800, take all the upgraded parts off and I can see the price getting lower. If he is not charging markup then I assume this is not his main business which could mean that he may not have a warrenty.
Don't take this wrong, I would hate to see you get ripped off. He may build a good stock tranny for $1400 but what kind of power are you adding.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up goin with a sun coast upgrade. just to go back to stock was 3100 and for the upgrade it ended up being 4400 not bad considering what I thought it would be but still I wish it hadnt givin up thats alot considering I still own on the truck

·
Registered
196 Posts
Your truck will not be the same. It is amazing the difference the new tranny will make.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is his business. He warranties his work. He was a tranny builder for ATS. Said he does a lot of custom work building for big power people.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is his business. He warranties his work. He was a tranny builder for ATS. Said he does a lot of custom work building for big power people.

Did you end up getting a tranny built from him? I talked to him about one today and wow he was cheap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts