Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first trip out camping for the year and I pulled my 27 ft house trailer with a 20 ft trailer behind that that had a sportsman fourwheeler and 2- 350 odyssey's on it. total length was 72 feet. Ya, I had to buy an overlength permit.

I was pulling up a 6% grade and the tranny temp coming out of the line climbed up to 260 deg in a hurry and i had to shift down to 2nd gear and the temp dropped down to about 240. It was only about 40 degrees outside and snowing a little so it wasn't hot out by any means.
I was only going about 40 mph full throtttle.
I had my buddy behind me with a ford v10 pulling same size house trailer breathing down my neck almost needing to push me.

After a lot of archive reading I went out tonight and measured my throttle adjustment and after the wife pressed the pedal to the floor I still had about 1/8 inch left to when i moved it back further by hand. Is this enough to worry about adjusting it to try and get more throttle?
I looked at my tranny cooler under the bed and it had alot of buildup of dirt and oil on 1/2 to 3/4 of the surface area of the fins due to an old leaky connection i found a while back. The lines still look like they could still be leaking somewhere still. Will replacing this cooler with a new one help with my cooling of the tranny? Also, what the hell is that so called cooler thing in front of the radiator? That thing is like 2" by 8". How much good does that thing due to cool the tranny oil. I was thinking that i should maybe install two under bed coolers and loose that puny thing. Any suggestions?
FYI. I had the converter tightened by a local shop last year that builds high performance converters for race cars and they said it would be about 89% efficient. Also the tranny was rebuilt then as well. I will try and post a pic tomorrow of the rig all hooked up from my trip.

Trailer house weighed 7000 lbs and the second trailer(tandom axle also) weighed prolly 3500 lbs with the cargo.

What do you all think about the cooler problems, the leak in the lines and the throttle linkage problem? Thanks for the help. kyle

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Is this enough to worry about adjusting it to try and get more throttle?
OH YES - That's where your power is , the last little bit....AT least in my truck.

...what the hell is that so called cooler thing in front of the radiator?

My sentiments exactly. Mine is gone in favor of a 3/4" thick 7"x11" ...Unfortunately I don't have my trans temp hooked up yet so I can't tell you the difference but I'm sure there is some.

I'd start by cleaning up the underbed cooler you have. Make sure there are no leaks. It should help. Also remember the tranny fluid flows thru that "heater/cooler" on the passenger side of the engine. Fluid-to-fluid transfer. Supposed to help warm the tranny fluid when it's cold and cool the fluid when its hot - ya, sure ! With just that the tranny temps SHOULD be ~ same as your water temp.........:thud:

Maybe I should've said your water temp will be the same as your tranny temp ?!?!?!?

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
Make sure the fan is working on the under bed cooler. You can hear it when it is running, pull over the next time the tranny temp is over 200, open the door and listen for it.

When you are towing and the water temp on the truck comes up, the tranny cooler on the right side of the block will actually add heat to the tranny fluid. I took my water cooled setup off the engine when I put the twins on due to needing the space and the tranny actually runs cooler now that I took the small cooler off the front end and did what Unixcowboy did. Went to NAPA and got a heavey duty cooler and put it in front of everything. Another reason I did this was due to installing a 2001 Ford intercooler in place of the stock one and needed more room for that.

I have not had a tranny temp problem since I did all this but you need to watch the water temp and tranny temps and keep the RPM's up when pulling a long grade to keep everything in check.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered a derale underbed cooler for the dodge and after looking at the current routing of the cooler lines it comes out of the tranny and goes back to the underbed cooler then to the engine block heater and then up to the front little cooler before dumping back into the tranny. This does not seem logical. It appears the oil comes out hot, gets cooled down a bit, gets warmed back up and cooled off a tid bit before getting dumped back into the tranny. Am I wrong in my thinking? I am going to install the new cooler and bypass the engine block heater for the summer and then hook it back into the line for winter. Anyone tell me how the correct routing should be from the factory. Also, how hot does the engine water get? Maybe it does not get as hot as i think and it still is cooling the oil down. If you have any input please help me out, Thanks kyle
I will try and post a pic of my rig with both trailers in tow, or should i say my wife will have to post them as i am a retard when it comes to thst stuff. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
is the under bed cooler that you are talking about stock? cause i don think i have one to speak of besides the one in front of the intercooler.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
oh ok thanks i guess the first owner of my truck didnt really care about towing? haha

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the pic of my double trailer set up. I hope it works i just spent 2 hours trying to figure out to put the picture on.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts