Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transfer case shifter on my truck makes a kind of random rattling clacking noise at freeway speeds 45mph and up. Doesn't seem to matter whether there is a load or not, will even do it if I knock the trans into neutral and coast. Has done it on and off for the last 10k miles. Changed fluid, looked brand new with no metal. You can move the stick around and it still does it which is opposite of what I've read in different posts. Shifts into all positions fine. Transmission was just rebuilt along with the drive shafts. No change. Replaced T-case seals while it was out during trans rebuild and shafts rotated smooth with no play. Just got back from a 1200 mile trip and it was kinda annoying. Just hate to tear into the t-case if it's just a shifter thing. Any Ideas??? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had an old Ramcharger that did that. It was a stretched transfer case chain. I'm not sure if these have the same trans case or not.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Their is a TSB about this. Mine does it and after i found the TSB i just ignore it...

Their is a small metal tab that acts as a kind of spring on the linkage, vibrations cause it to rattle. the TSB basically just has a guy go in there with a prybar and bend it. ill see if i can find it

·
Registered
10,782 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Anyone try the tab bending method with success???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts