Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing recently that at about 1800 rpms there's a vibration from the transmission. I put my hand on the transfer case shift lever to see if I could feel a vibration and realized that thing really moves back and forth every time the truck changes gears or accelerates. In my ford it never moves. Is this normal? There's quite a bit of moving back and forth.

Oh, this is a 06 5.9l with really low miles.

Thanks!!!

·
I wanna go fast...
3,475 Posts
Not really, you may want to check the tranny mount to see if it is loose or broken. It may be normal, but I would at least look at the mount.

·
Registered
34 Posts
From What I Understood Those Floor Mounted Shift Leversfor 4wd Were Just Like The Ones Mounted On The Dash ,electronic Controled And They Weren,t Realy Mauual.mine Is A 6s Manual But Has A Knob On The Dash For 4wd.my Old Car Did That When I Broke The Motor Mounts.when I Put My Hand On The Shift It Would Move A Lot.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine moves around a little bit. As a matter of fact all my toyota's did the same thing. If you say it moves around a lot then I would probably look at it, but just a little bit is normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I'll have the transmission mounts checked to be sure everything's okay.

I appreciate the feedback!!!!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Yes it should move. It is attached to the transfer case with a solid rod and the transfer case is attached to the transmission and engine. All of those components are on rubber mounts and move according to load throttle input and road surface. Mine really gets to moving when pulling my camper. But it never hurts to crawl under there and have a look see.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
QUOTE=NickBeek;615325]Yes it should move. It is attached to the transfer case with a solid rod and the transfer case is attached to the transmission and engine. All of those components are on rubber mounts and move according to load throttle input and road surface. Mine really gets to moving when pulling my camper. But it never hurts to crawl under there and have a look see.[/QUOTE]

:agree2::thumbsup

·
Registered
470 Posts
yea, mine moves a bit too. has in all my dodges. but let us know what the tranny shop says anyway, if you would, thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
From What I Understood Those Floor Mounted Shift Leversfor 4wd Were Just Like The Ones Mounted On The Dash ,electronic Controled And They Weren,t Realy Mauual.mine Is A 6s Manual But Has A Knob On The Dash For 4wd.my Old Car Did That When I Broke The Motor Mounts.when I Put My Hand On The Shift It Would Move A Lot.
:eek: :coocoo

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
There will always be some subtle movement, but if you all of the sudden you're noticing a bit more movement than normal I 2nd the tranny mount. I'll throw in a few more mounts for that can cause your problem. Don't for get the T-case mounts as well. Even a bad engine mount can cause excess movement down the drivetrain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts