Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad's 2001 2500 is and has had a shuddering issue for a long time now. We have replaced the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, slave cylinder and have yet to solve this problem. All of this has been done twice to no avail. It now has as South Bend in it and it still has the same problem. Real bad shuddering pullin out in 1st, 2nd and in reverse. A local mechanic mentioned that it may being cause by the chain in the transfer case. Is this possible? Has anybody had this problem? And does the chain even move while the truck is in 2wd?:confused013:

·
Marble Crusher
1,857 Posts
yes the chain is moving even if you are in 2wd its not under a load but it is still moving, overtime the chain can stretch, and eventually break and destroy the transfer case. Its definitely worth getting looked at.

-Jordan-

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would pull the plug on the t-case and see if there is metal shavings in the oil. If the chain gets stretched to much it will be eating into the housing.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The chain does not do anything in 2wd, power is transmitted through the mianshaft to the rear end. The chain can stretch but you would notice it in 4wd.

·
Registered
83 Posts
On my 02 the chain runs all the time. Front end is always engaged turning the drive shaft which turns the chain. You will not notice it unless you are in 4 wheel drive and the chain starts jumping teeth. Everything in the t-case runs it just don't have power going to when in two wheel drive. If you have the vacuum operated front end then it should not turn unless engaged.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
^It appears that some '02's have the CAD and some don't. My '02 has the CAD and the transfer case does not turn in 2wd.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You got to thank dodge for making them all the same.:hehe::doh:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yeah, funny I know. I actually like the CAD. All my other trucks have had manual hubs, and this is a nice change.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would start lookin at the flywheel. Sometimes if they're not completely flat they can cause a shudder. Whenthe disc hits the high spots with not enough pressure to engage. An since 1st 2nd and reverse are all steep gears it's enough power to shake the truck from the torque of the gear reduction. (sorry if I lost you) also, the disc could be the culprit. Clutch discs are actually 2 pieces of material with a thin metal "spring" between them to cushion that transition between engaged or not. High performance clutches usually don't use them or have a very stiff one to handle "high performance" lol. It's a weak spot, and diesels as we all know are torque monsters.

I'd take the flywheel and have resurfaced before anything. The transfer case is the last place I'd look. But, I've been wrong before... Hope I helped, good luck.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
^ Not sure if you read the original post, but all those parts have been replaced twice.

·
Registered
806 Posts
That doesn't mean the flywheels are flat. I've had many that needed to be ground flat in my 68 chevelle drag car. The clutch disc is something you'll have no control over. They're built more heVy duty and nothing is gonna be as smooth as a factory clutch. It was built to handle factory power outputs.

If I'm wrong I'm sorry, I just wanna try and save you the cost of a t-case rebuild or replacement if all you have to do is pull a flywhhel and have it machined for $40... That's just my .02

·
Registered
663 Posts
The front drive shaft of my '00 freewheels in 2wd...it doesn't spin. I don't believe any part time Dodge 4wd front drive shafts should spin in 2wd, UNLESS...the front isn't unlocking or the transfer case isn't unlocking.

It's basically the same system Dodge has had forever...I had it in my '87 Ramcharger.

Otherwise, it shouldn't move. A quick test is to park it in 2wd, get under the truck and try to spin the shaft...it should turn freely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts