Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, You guys were great the last time I had an issue. Now I have another. My transfer case seems to be going. This winter my daughter had it(96 dually, auto.) in 4wheel dr. for a long time on icey roads and the tranfer case was empty.
What happens is, for about 1 revolution of the tires, there is a big clonk in the transfer case. I only use the revolution of the tire as a reference. It is as though the chain in the transfer case jumps a cog or maybe I have a few teeth broken??I know I can get a rebuilt for about a grand, but, is it really difficult to pull it out myself and take a look? Is it a difficult job to pull apart and take a look myself? If I can offer more info, let me know.
Thanks for any feedback.
Steve1--96 1ton duelly automatic

·
Registered
151 Posts
from what i hear rebuilding a transfer case is not to hard if you have a manual that will help you get past some problems.

·
Registered
352 Posts
manual is an big helper, mainly keep it clean and in order. Look into it in the manual make sure you have all the tools.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Sure its t-case?

double check the cad (central axle disconnect)

Mine does the same thing. I smashed my vac solenoid for the cad (bounced it off a rock, bent the shaft) and even after some tweaking it doesnt couple the axles right away. But as soon as i roll forward a bit i get a big ol bang when the coupler finally moves over and locks the shafts!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have two apart in the garage right now -- a Chevy and a Dodge -- both NP241's. Would you like a few pics of the internals? They are pretty simple. I am getting ready to put one back together this week if you want me to take some pics and notes for you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just some pics.

Front half.

Rear half.

Internals that will come out, plus a magnet.

Internals completely removed from front half.

Pretty simple. I will be putting both transfer cases back together by this weekend. I have never done it, but will update you on the progress or issues I run into. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts