Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. It sounds like atf is used for the transfer case on these trucks? I don't think my fluid has been changed in 275k, so I figured it's time. I happen to have 4 quarts of toyota "atf ws" from a toyota we had years ago and I'd love to get rid of it. Would it be ok?

·
Registered
496 Posts
The manual calls for Mopar Dexron II. Apparently Mopar issued a TSB revising that to ATF+3 or better.

I found this on Toyota's wiki page:
In 2002, Toyota releases the Genuine ATF WS (World Standard) Fluid Specification (JWS3324 or NWS9638).[16][17] This fluid is not backward compatible with previous Toyota fluids or Dexron fluids. Almost all 2004 and above Toyota vehicles with automatic transmissions use the WS fluid specification. This fluid absorbs moisture and should never be reused. Always use fluid from an unopened container. See Toyota bulletin T-SB-003-11

I would not use it in my transfer case.

Also, thanks for this question. It gave me an opportunity to learn and made me realize I need to change my diff and x-fer case fluids ASAP.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well shoot. I didn't get a response, so I put it in anyway. Looks like I'll be changing it again soon. Having oil that absorbs moisture probably isn't good for a transfer case given its location.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would not wait too long. The Toyota fluid may not be compatible with your older type seals.
Just use DEX 3 fluid.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just get urself some amsoil atf and put in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts