Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 90 cummins and there is some sort of vibration coming from the transfer case up through the handle. the handle is tight, and all linkages seem to be ok. if you put your hand on top of the stick it stops. just wondering if anyone ran into that before.

also when everyone talks about overfilling the transmission, is filling it till it runs out of the top plug on the side cover considered overfilling, or do you have to pull the shifter and do all that???

i just stumbled upon this forum, i don't know how i've never found it before, but i love it already!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have seen pictures of repairs for this problem. Mine does it also, but I just have a glove shoved down into the boot next the shifter until I complete a real repair. I haven't dug to find the thread but it is on here somewhere. Its all in the linkage of the transfer case shifter, so nothing to worry about. Just gonna be a bothersome noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
haha, yeah i have a beer coozie thing with a rag stuffed in it over the stick i think i'm gonna pull the t case out soon anyways, i have a bad seal somewhere b/c its all wet so hopefully i can fix it then

·
Registered
311 Posts
The linkage between the plate that bolts on the tranny and the handle gets really sloppy over time. I wouldn't worry about it, unless its annoying you.

Overfilling the Getrag involves filling it to the fill plug, then either:

A. take the shifter off and pour 1-2 quarts of oil in.

B. remove the top bolt on one of your PTO covers and pump oil in through there.

I would personally recommend B.

Chris

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had to add to this post... I replaced my tranny mounts the other day, and never really noticed it, but it made my transfer case shifter quiet again. Odd I know but it did the trick...although that wasn't the reason for the replacement... Thought I'd better put that one out there though, since its a pretty easy job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks dustin, i was actually gonna order a new tranny mount and motor mounts in the next couple of days, hopefully that helps a lil bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts