Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been chasing down a leak between my transfer case and transmission. I've replaced both seals between the transfer case and tranny(g56). It does leak alot but enough that over time i have to add fluid. It leaks where the output shaft goes into the transfer case. I've replaced that seal and finally had to add fluid. Now i may have messed it up putting the seal in but pretty sure i didn't. I got the seal from NAPA. Its one of those seals thats in a metal jacket flange and you put it in til the flange is flush with the case. I've used 4wd over the winter, i've crawled under while it running and there is no specific time that it leaks...I've gone on couple hundred mile trips and still dry or doesn't leak.

My question is, are the transfer cases vented? Vent hose? If so how can you tell if its plugged or not? Is it possible they build up enough pressure to force fluid out the seal?

Thanks for any feedback...Would like to get to bottom of it so i can fix when i do the clutch.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The t-case does have a vent. do you have a leak on the ground after its been sitting?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does not leak on the ground. If you look there's a little hole for drainage i assume between the tranny and the trans case and it runs out that hole and puddles up underneath the trans case/tranny support cross member

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Add some florescent dye in either the trans or t-case so you can see which one is leaking.
I already know which one is leaking, it's the t-case,that's the only one that's required me to add fluid, just trying to narrow it down to what might be causing it to leak.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The t-case does have a vent. do you have a leak on the ground after its been sitting?
Is there anyway to make sure that the vent is working or not plugged? I looked under there and there is no hose coming off t-case just a 90 degree elbow at the top of the case

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is there anyway to make sure that the vent is working or not plugged? I looked under there and there is no hose coming off t-case just a 90 degree elbow at the top of the case

Gently blow some shop air in the fill plug while checking if you feel air coming out the vent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts