Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
ever heard of lockers, or free spin hubs?:sneaky: My transfer case is 20 yo, and I run 600 to 700 hp 1500+ ftlbs of torque through it every day, not one complaint.....

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I put a lot of miles on my truck in very remote locations. If I could grease my CV joint I would but the factory front shaft replaced under warranty (broke 2 within the week) & doesn’t have the grease hole.
The free spin has saved my butt several times.
Broke a front u joint 120miles from the closest town in the great white north. Unlocked the hubs, made sure not to get stuck & drove 900milea home for the repairs.
Another time 180 miles from home, the CV joint was starting to fail again. Unlocked the hubs drove to parts store & fixed that night. Back to work the following day.
How about a bearing failure on the side of the road. A lot easier to replace than the uni bearing design. I usually service 1X year in the spring. I change them out instead of repacking.
not much more that $100/side.
It sure is nice driving up a steep mountain grade in 2WL & save heating up the transmission. The tighter steering radius is also nice.
The thought of my front shaft failing then taking out 1/2 of the truck is just plain scary. Free spins are worth every penny & then some.
Not to mention the people that have had leg amputations from DS and TC failures.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Also I hate to burst your bubble, but for the guys with a 68RFE trans they're the most problematic because they were literally designed for a front wheel drive mini van, and when they ran out of 48's for the trucks they started putting the 68's in the trucks. Nice...

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
The same thing happend to my friend in idaho. He has a 2003 third gen with the manual shift transfer case. It jumped into 4wd while the automatic was shifting into overdrive going 50-60 miles a hour. Exploded the transfercase and put a hole in the transmission bell housing. Dropped a driveshaft on the freeway which hit a car behind him. Huge expensive mess.

I believe there was a recall for these trucks because the transfercase was too easy to shift causing these problems.
That may be the story he told you, but I doubt it lol. I have an 03, and that's just not very likely...A more likely scenario was he tried shifting on purpose at the wrong time and grenaded it, that they will do.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I do remember replacing the shift linkage on my TC a while back the shift lever was moving all over the place and that worried me. It just needed new rubber vibration isolators and good to go. If you're worried, or see it slopping around you may want to crawl under and inspect it.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Best story I ever heard was my brother trying to explain how he was just driving along and his $11000.00 race trans blew up, and sent a gear flying through the air. Turns out what really happened was he blew a shift, over revved it, and then slammed it into gear, and KABOOOM!!! Like I said, we all have our stories, the ones we tell our selves, the one's we tell our friends, and the one's we tell the police.🤣

1 - 8 of 8 Posts