Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Greasing my front driveshaft on the 2018 RAM 4500 every 15k miles is much cheaper than buying spin free hubs......at least for me.
I put a lot of miles on my truck in very remote locations. If I could grease my CV joint I would but the factory front shaft replaced under warranty (broke 2 within the week) & doesn’t have the grease hole.
The free spin has saved my butt several times.
Broke a front u joint 120miles from the closest town in the great white north. Unlocked the hubs, made sure not to get stuck & drove 900milea home for the repairs.
Another time 180 miles from home, the CV joint was starting to fail again. Unlocked the hubs drove to parts store & fixed that night. Back to work the following day.
How about a bearing failure on the side of the road. A lot easier to replace than the uni bearing design. I usually service 1X year in the spring. I change them out instead of repacking.
not much more that $100/side.
It sure is nice driving up a steep mountain grade in 2WL & save heating up the transmission. The tighter steering radius is also nice.
The thought of my front shaft failing then taking out 1/2 of the truck is just plain scary. Free spins are worth every penny & then some.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I wonder what Tom Woods does with the POS CV joint. That tiny little aligning pin & ball receiver is definitely the weak link in the stock shaft. Once that alignment pin breaks it’s all over especially at highway speeds.
On a non lifted truck, I don’t even know why they need a CV joint. The angles aren’t that extreme. I’m sure glad I have a free spin kit. Saved my butt a few times when the CV joint started to fail.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My 273 once shifted on my own. Unfortunately it was with the free spin hubs unlocked at highway speeds. It only happened for a split second but made a nasty noise trying to engage without the front shaft spinning. Had to rebuild the transfer case after that mishap.
If the hubs were locked or in factory form, it would not know the difference since shaft speed is the same front to rear

1 - 3 of 3 Posts