Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So. I have a new to me 2007 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 and 48Re. I was just on the freeway (20 minutes ago) and cruising at 70 when the vehicle started vibrating noticeably (not bad, but made me question if it was the road or the vehicle) so I slowed to 60 and it seemed to get worse. As I was pulling onto the shoulder it started shuddering and at around 30 MPH I heard the big clatter. Transfer case spilled its guts all over the road. 80% of the case is gone.

I forgot to ask my question:Is there a separate fluid circuit for the transfer case, or is it tied to the transmission. Also,if I pull the guts and the front driveshaft can I limp around in 2WD while I track down parts?

·
Registered
786 Posts
That’s sucks to here that. Go ahead replace your front drive shaft. I installed spytec locking Hubs for this very reason. The transfer case wear out form constantly being spun.

Reactions: 5.7 Hemi

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Wowser. Sorry to hear that but thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
What a mess... it could have been worse for you and the rest of the truck! This is also my first 4wd and I don't use it so I just took my front shaft out last week, lubed it and hung it in the garage. What all keeps spinning in the transfer case when it's in 2-HI? Hopefully the front output shaft is disengaged from the rest of the innards.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
These transfer cases are pretty solid for a daily driver. You had a bearing seize up and that big ass chain ripped the housing in two. Doo not drive around in 2wd mode as you will suffer a worse fate when the rest of that case fails and destroys the back half of your trans. A new transfer case is 1k or way cheaper at a bone yard. That's a rough way to come into this forum. They are easy to rebuild if you find a cheap one that needs freshened up, only need a couple tools to tear them completely down.

Reactions: totalled07

·
Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
16,144 Posts
Front driveshaft failure.....would be my guess. The vibration prior to exploding says it all. Hopefully you don’t have trashed fuel lines or wiring harnesses.

·
2,629 Posts
What a mess... it could have been worse for you and the rest of the truck! This is also my first 4wd and I don't use it so I just took my front shaft out last week, lubed it and hung it in the garage. What all keeps spinning in the transfer case when it's in 2-HI? Hopefully the front output shaft is disengaged from the rest of the innards.
The chain and both sprockets keep spinning.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
On 2006 and newer you have got to grease the centering ball in the double cardan joint on the front drive shaft at every oil change or this is the results. It's a pain but it has to be done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These transfer cases are pretty solid for a daily driver. You had a bearing seize up and that big ass chain ripped the housing in two. Doo not drive around in 2wd mode as you will suffer a worse fate when the rest of that case fails and destroys the back half of your trans. A new transfer case is 1k or way cheaper at a bone yard. That's a rough way to come into this forum. They are easy to rebuild if you find a cheap one that needs freshened up, only need a couple tools to tear them completely down.
That makes sense to me. I just picked one up off of marketplace for $500. Going to run without the front driveshaft until I piece together all new u-joints for the front end. I should be okay to do that with a complete tcase installed- right?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Well NOW I know that! 😂
If you have the means to notch out the transmission support you can run a one piece driveshaft up front. I haven't done this yet and just rebuilt the cardan joint a few weeks ago. I should have done it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Geeze. I need to get my front driveshaft checked. It's had a slight vibration at 70mph since i got the truck. Don't go on the highway often, but this makes me want to remove mine until I can get it balanced and checked.

Reactions: Digit09

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
"The chain and both sprockets keep spinning." I thought that looked like the lower chain sprocket in the picture and it didn't look like there is any disconnect between the sprocket and the shaft. So my next guess is... the later models with CAD only disconnects one axle and the other axle still spins the spiders and the inner shaft on the other side. In other words, it's less resistance to spin the spiders and stub shaft than to spin the front drive shaft and TC sprockets and chain.
That makes unlocking hubs look WAY more necessary and not just a luxury! I'm 69 and if I live long enough to need bearing hubs again, they will be unlocking.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
"The chain and both sprockets keep spinning." I thought that looked like the lower chain sprocket in the picture and it didn't look like there is any disconnect between the sprocket and the shaft. So my next guess is... the later models with CAD only disconnects one axle and the other axle still spins the spiders and the inner shaft on the other side. In other words, it's less resistance to spin the spiders and stub shaft than to spin the front drive shaft and TC sprockets and chain.
That makes unlocking hubs look WAY more necessary and not just a luxury! I'm 69 and if I live long enough to need bearing hubs again, they will be unlocking.
There is a gear on the main shaft of the transfer case that the servo moves into place to lock into 4wd. When not in 4wd the entire front end spins including the drive shaft, front output shaft of the transfer case and the chain drive. I think that is what your were referring to, if not then I digress.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Yes that's it. I didn't know so many parts turned even when not in 4wd. Am I right about CAD?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Man every time I see these posts it scares me to death. I bought my truck last year with 168k. It was fairly well taken care of, but who knows if that front driveshaft was ever lubed? I've heard of guys that lube their driveshaft and then it fails a couple days later...

Looks like you can get a full replacement driveshaft for ~$250 from some places... cheap insurance? Or is it better to just have the cardan joint rebuilt on the stock one? I don't have any vibration, but no peace of mind either :)

Reactions: Mega2006ND
1 - 20 of 54 Posts