Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I wanted to ask about a transfer case problem I have had since I have purchased my truck. Keep in mind: when I purchased the truck, the previous owner told me he had replaced the transfer case pretty recently. It was clear that the transfer case was replaced as it looks very new underneath the truck. I bought this truck with the transfer case constantly popping into neutral while driving, slow or fast. Around a year ago, I had a local mechanic, who is very trustworthy and good at his job, pull my transfer case and rebuild it with brand new gears and shift forks. There could have been more parts replaced, but I do not remember every part. The mechanic noted that the transfer case looked like it had been ran without fluid and might have caused the issue. For that year or so, I had zero issues with it. However, roughly a month ago, I was driving and the transfer case attempt to pop out of gear while driving. I was running roughly 55 miles per hour up a pretty steep hill. I did stop to check it out and make sure it was fine. Now, maybe a day or so ago, I was running around 58 miles per hour on a flat highway and my transfer case grinded right into neutral. I had to stop, put it back in gear, and go on. It is rare for this to happen but it still happens more than I would want it. Any ideas on why it does this, and any ideas fix to it? I have not towed anything with my truck, and if you need any other information, just ask. I will provide pictures of the undercarriage upon request.

Truck details:
Acquired around ~178700
Currently has ~181,800 miles: (Transfer case was rebuilt around ~178,900 miles)
2002 QC/SB Flame Red NV4500 S.O. 235 HP (Factory 5 speed)
SLT Laramie (Agate cloth, powered door panels, keyfob, and power/heat mirrors with manual seats)
Stock to my knowledge (I put factory intake on, used to have a BHAF)
Factory headunit (Includes built-in equalizer)
Third gen stock wheels (Leveled with rancho shocks)
Previously had a 3-position-switch tuner (Mounted underneath the steering column)
Has autometer gauges (Pyrometer, boost, fuel pressure)
New steering gearbox around ~179200 miles (Redhead brand)
Factory-style cablights (Installed when I got the truck)
B&W Hideaway gooseneck ball (With rhinolined bed)
Mag-Hytec rear differential cover (Dana 80 rearend)
Upgraded 4th-generation-style tow mirrors (Power/heat)

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Perhaps an obvious question, but is the shifter linkage adjusted correctly?

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
Whomever rebuilt it probably installed the in and out drive gear and its locks incorrectly. Needs to come out and apart and back together correctly, by somebody that knows the transfer case well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Whomever rebuilt it probably installed the in and out drive gear and its locks incorrectly. Needs to come out and apart and back together correctly, by somebody that knows the transfer case well.
Is there any way I can attach a video? I can show you exactly what happens. Also, sorry this is later I have been very busy.

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
Yes in the extended attachments icon tool bar below. There is no real adjustment on linkage. So long as it moves freely through all positions without hitting something on either end or range of movement there is no adjustment. If the TC has be apart there is any range of issues that mechanic error could have caused.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes in the extended attachments icon tool bar below. There is no real adjustment on linkage. So long as it moves freely through all positions without hitting something on either end or range of movement there is no adjustment. If the TC has be apart there is any range of issues that mechanic error could have caused.
I am sorry, but it never would let me attach a video. However, the person who rebuilt my transfer case has just looked at it and said this: the transfer case is bone dry with no oil, however, when it was rebuilt previously, it was filled with oil. There are no signs of major leaking underneath or around the truck.

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
How do you know it was filled before? Bet not if no drips on the ground since. So did you fill it and try it? The long linkage bar is clamped to the shift lever about 2inches from the front of the bar. Changing that position a bit will just move the shift lever resting position in all gears unless it is bottoming out too far in either direction.

If they rebuilt it and did fill after installation, that is on them, probably needs bearings and more. now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How do you know it was filled before? Bet not if no drips on the ground since. So did you fill it and try it? The long linkage bar is clamped to the shift lever about 2inches from the front of the bar. Changing that position a bit will just move the shift lever resting position in all gears unless it is bottoming out too far in either direction.

If they rebuilt it and did fill after installation, that is on them, probably needs bearings and more. now.
I mean I hope he put fluid in it the first time he rebuilt it? The truck could have dripped a little maybe but nothing major that was ever noticable. I did not check because he said specifically he refilled it with fresh fluid. It's currently in his shop getting a new seal kit and gears...

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
If it was "bone dry" and you saw no obvious drips every time you parked it on the pavemenet/cement itis because he forgot to fill it. How long ago was last rebuild?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
If it was "bone dry" and you saw no obvious drips every time you parked it on the pavemenet/cement itis because he forgot to fill it. How long ago was last rebuild?
I agree.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Like almost a year and half ago. It didn't restart grinding until like 3 months ago. And around those 3 months it was like barely grinding. However, it started to get super bad very recently requiring me to take it to him.
I noticed maybe one drip of oil but it was more in the front of the truck as a simple oil leak. But he said the transfer case looked bone dry I havent seen it its still getting worked on

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
So unless you drained and did not refill it it was either not filled at all or he left it low or with a leak. The only contact moving parts in it when 2x4 is the input bearing and output bearing. The chain and gears do not move except in 4x4 or low range. So ask him what he is going todo to handle it. If nothing take it elsewhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So unless you drained and did not refill it it was either not filled at all or he left it low or with a leak. The only contact moving parts in it when 2x4 is the input bearing and output bearing. The chain and gears do not move except in 4x4 or low range. So ask him what he is going todo to handle it. If nothing take it elsewhere.
Putting a full seal kit on it with new gears and shift forks I believe
and filling with new oil

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
Is that what he says it needs? Bearings, Chain??

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
Still in shop?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts