Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Must be backwards.
Thanks for opines in advance.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe it doesn’t matter, but I have only seen seals where the flat side goes opposite the fluid. This had the flat side towards the fluid. Minor leaking, seal on its way.

Anyone?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone? I won’t get to this until Sunday if I’m lucky, but...
Manual shows installing seal on retainer, then retainer onto transfer case. The seal direction has me perplexed.
Pic of seal I ordered and manual pages.
8644498E-F878-407A-9C66-86C750B1F539.png
E5C4681C-FDC4-4377-9F29-BC4B7EEDAFF6.jpeg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I went out to the garage to take of pic of my transfer case that came off a '95 V10/Auto which I get to go through any time I'm ready, replacing parts to make it fit a 5-speed...

Will have to look into things more but this is how it came:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate it Loren. I will put it in as yours unless I find info otherwise. It doesn’t appear necessary to remove the cover first.

·
Premium Member
5,132 Posts
Spring side always faces the oil right?

·
Super Moderator
21,459 Posts
On the Rock Auto pictures it says Dual Lip, so if i'm understanding it correctly it means both sides are the same? It would keep oil from entering and exiting.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dual lip means two sealing surfaces on the same seal. (Insurance) I’m pretty sure it’s backwards on mine. I never thought of it before, but the reason the spring faces the fluid is the fluid is usually towards the side that gets warmer and pressure builds. As pressure increases the seal is forced tighter. With it backwards, the opposite is true, as pressure builds, the seal folds and could release pressure, and fluid.

I appreciate the responses.

·
Premium Member
5,132 Posts
On the Rock Auto pictures it says Dual Lip, so if i'm understanding it correctly it means both sides are the same? It would keep oil from entering and exiting.
No, that's not how that works.

Double lipped is just added protection against leaks.

A grease seal might hold installed backwards, but an oil seal certainly won't

·
Super Moderator
21,459 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In case someone digs this post up in the future, the seal is best removed by removing the bearing retainer plate. The seal is a two direction seal, it looks the same on each side.

I can only guess why it is two directional. There is a cavity between the transfer case and transmission with a drain path built into the flange. If you buried the transfer case in mud/water, this would keep the water from entering the case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts