Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready for the trans upgrade this next week. What do you guys recommend. I have 28k on the truck. Should I rebuild it also when modding the trans. I got a price of $500 to put the T.C V.B AND B.I shaft on, as well as pull and reinstall trans in truck. If I rebuild it the cost is @ 1.2k, plus the rebuild kit. .......

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wait. $500 includes torque converter, valve body, and billet input shaft -- Plus labor?

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"$500 to put the T.C V.B AND B.I shaft on, as well as pull and reinstall trans in truck."

I have yet to buy the parts. I need to know What manufacturer to go with for each of the parts.

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
the billet input shaft alone is $700. just to buy it

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I will be installing Goerend!!! My second choice would probably be ATS. I say go with Goerend :thumbsup

·
Registered
199 Posts
Oh... Sounded too good to be true. Guess it was.

·
Premium Member
15,462 Posts
I am ready for the trans upgrade this next week. What do you guys recommend. I have 28k on the truck. Should I rebuild it also when modding the trans. I got a price of $500 to put the T.C V.B AND B.I shaft on, as well as pull and reinstall trans in truck. If I rebuild it the cost is @ 1.2k, plus the rebuild kit. .......
With 28k it should not need a rebuild, but, factory tolerances are another story.

At the very least, check out the direct and forward clutch packs to make sure there is no damage or slippage starting. The rets of the trans is pretty strong so it should be good for a while yet.

If you are in Florida Suncoast would be close and easy. They are every bit as good as any.

Unless you are going for big power, the standard OPIE input shaft will do you quite well. Make sure you update the front band strut and accumulator with the billets parts also. You can gat a heavier 2nd gear band and apply lever but unless you are doing big power and high pressures save the $$ for something else. :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, good ole Florida. Not! Thanks guys. I was thinking of maybe 650 rwhp to be my stopping point. At those levels what would you recommend I know suncoast is near but I have a guy here in Orlando that does all of my Trans work. He asked me to find out what parts to buy and he would take from there.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yes, good ole Florida. Not! Thanks guys. I was thinking of maybe 650 rwhp to be my stopping point. At those levels what would you recommend I know suncoast is near but I have a guy here in Orlando that does all of my Trans work. He asked me to find out what parts to buy and he would take from there.
650!!! You may want to go with ATS.

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
:agree2: and build it right

·
Premium Member
15,462 Posts
By the way, would I be a good candidate for the Co-Pilot. What is that piece all about?
Its a lockup controller, allows you to set the TC lockup speed. The Co-Pilot is better suited for use with an EB. If you want lockup for all out racing, a mystery switch will do the same without all the cost.

What parts you buy will depend on what you want to do with the truck. If you want bragging rights to HP then all you really need is a shift kit, a few tweaks to the trans, and some self control.

If you want to do boosted launches and drag race thats a whole different thing. OPIE or TCS billet shafts, heavier band and apply lever, billet pistons and accumulators, billet TC, and lots of pressure.

The only guarantee you will get at that level is you WILL break something. :lol3:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts