Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can’t tell if my truck has trans tune or not. It does have some random EFI sotf tunes. Doesn’t go into 6th until about 67mph. Converter locks up real hard in 4th. Unlocks noticeably going to 5th, then locks hard again (can really feel the torque when it locks though lol) Also seems to lug in gears 4-6. Like if I’m cruising in 5th and try to accelerate, it’ll just stay in 5th unless I put the pedal to the floor, then it’ll downshift. Likewise when slowing down from let’s say 5th, it’ll stay in 5th till I get on it again, even if I’ve slowed to like 25mph. Downshifting from 3rd to 1st all seem normal. Should I look into getting a new trans tune or does that seem normal?

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Sounds just about like mine, that supposedly has a trans tune. I spoke with someone at the place that wrote the efi live tune but he was not in a question answering mood apparently. ;I just bought the truck, tuned) If I get better intel from motorops.ca I’ll share.
Yes in the mean time, it feels like a turd. Same exact behavior as yours and I believe, all of them. When it shifts to 4th or 5th maybe 6th too, it does the unlock, shift, lock sequence and sometimes won’t downshift when it should and stays in 5th down to too low of speeds.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
If it is shifting into 6th at 67 that is Not stock so I would say you have trans tuning (and probably not very good trans tuning). Also stock is unlocked shifts from 1-4, locks in 4th, then locked shifts from 4-5, 5-6.

As far as getting a new tans tune? I'm not sure if you can get "just" a trans tune or if you are going to have to get all new tuning (whih may be a challenge right now)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is shifting into 6th at 67 that is Not stock so I would say you have trans tuning (and probably not very good trans tuning). Also stock is unlocked shifts from 1-4, locks in 4th, then locked shifts from 4-5, 5-6.

As far as getting a new tans tune? I'm not sure if you can get "just" a trans tune or if you are going to have to get all new tuning (whih may be a challenge right now)

That’s what I was afraid of. Have some weight reduction so retuning would be kinda complicated right now. It feels good accelerating and that lock up feels like another gear almost, but it just doesn’t like to downshift on its own. Guess I’ll have to live with it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would re-tune if it were mine. Life is too short to put up with something like that.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I would re-tune if it were mine. Life is too short to put up with something like that.

^Agree, as every stock trans I’ve driven hits 6th as soon as it can in normal mode.
So question to all with tuned 68s from various tuners, what/who’s tune do you have and does it get rid of the lugging in 5th at low speeds and does it help or get rid of the weird unlock/shift/lock sequence in the upper gears?
My truck is also not set up ideally. 37s and a lift on stock 3.42s. So that exaggerates these behaviors for sure, but it’s the reason, even being a Ram/Cummins fan, that I still wouldn’t want or own a Cummins auto trans truck to this day, unless it was an Aisin.
For the record, our “new” 2016 was an actual too good to pass up deal when deals are basically unheard of. And it’s a grocery getter that will do light recreational towing so it’s a fun cool looking truck with a goofy albeit reliable transmission.

Reactions: cwendel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^Agree, as every stock trans I’ve driven hits 6th as soon as it can in normal mode.
So question to all with tuned 68s from various tuners, what/who’s tune do you have and does it get rid of the lugging in 5th at low speeds and does it help or get rid of the weird unlock/shift/lock sequence in the upper gears?
My truck is also not set up ideally. 37s and a lift on stock 3.42s. So that exaggerates these behaviors for sure, but it’s the reason, even being a Ram/Cummins fan, that I still wouldn’t want or own a Cummins auto trans truck to this day, unless it was an Aisin.
For the record, our “new” 2016 was an actual too good to pass up deal when deals are basically unheard of. And it’s a grocery getter that will do light recreational towing so it’s a fun cool looking truck with a goofy albeit reliable transmission.
Same boat, 37s on stock gears, not great but I feel the engine has enough low end to get over that. It’s just the damn trans is sooo lazy feeling. Even off the line it feels like you have to wind the converter up (and yes I know what turbo lag and dead pedal is). Bottom line I love the Cummins but my trans sucks, even with it’s tuning, valve body and triple disk converter.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
^ So you’re tuned, vb and fancy TQ converter and yours runs like that?
I don’t feel so bad about how mine acts then.
Trans is bone stock with tuning, truck is deleted and tuned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts