Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Pipeliner
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im getting the edge/attitude in a week and im sorta figuring out how im going to set up my edge for automatique defueling, so for the egt's im going with 1350-1400, turbo timer 2-3min, now my ??? are what is a safe trans temp to set it at?? i tow a lot also!!??

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
i have not seen over 180 on my 68RFE, using a PMT to read it. The normal range for me is 140 to 160 degrees. Thats with a 35ft dove tail, total trailer, truck, and load was around 23k-ish

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Trans fluid burns above 250, starts loosing lifespan and effectiveness at 230... Or something like that. Mr. AMSOIL has the test data.

Best place to put the probe is in the hot line right out of the transmission, as that's where the fluid is the hottest. Doesn't really matter if you have 5 coolers that keep the pan fluid 160 degrees if the fluid is getting up to 400 degrees right out of the transmission.

Powerbrake any transmission out there and you can get over 200 in under 5 seconds, over 300 in about 10...

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
^Not to disagree but: I run a stall converter in my drag truck, launch @2300 and the temp is roughly 160 degrees. It actually will get hotter just driving through town stop and go traffic. Same thing in my diesel.

·
Pipeliner
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so my safe bet is around 210-220

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
^Not to disagree but: I run a stall converter in my drag truck, launch @2300 and the temp is roughly 160 degrees. It actually will get hotter just driving through town stop and go traffic. Same thing in my diesel.
Why do I get to 200 in just a few seconds then? What did I do wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Begal, could as simple as where each of us are taking are temp readings. I use a sensor about halfway up in the pan. And I do not run a trans cooler except that which in in the radiator.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
Why do I get to 200 in just a few seconds then? What did I do wrong?

Because he has a high stall for his drag truck and his application is built for it. Your application is not built to be power braked.

You are building all of that heat because that TC is not set up to be Powered Brake. When you do that you are building a ton of pressure in there. There is no place for it to go. You are forcing it pass the Stator and the vanes. Just creating heat.

I can not speak for the 68RFE but on the 47RE and 48RE, they will over heat in Park, they will over heat if you drive slow (5mph) using the brake alot, like on a farm or ranch.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
hey guys im getting the edge/attitude in a week and im sorta figuring out how im going to set up my edge for automatique defueling, so for the egt's im going with 1350-1400, turbo timer 2-3min, now my ??? are what is a safe trans temp to set it at?? i tow a lot also!!??
220-240 something like that. The trans temp light goes off on my truck at about 260 or so...

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
My roommate has a tranny from(06 48re) HTS and a TC from TCI(suck). He has gauge on the pan and on the line to the cooler from the tranny. There is usaully no more than 20 degree difference on the two. Pan is cooler. He was running 210 and 190. He felt that was to hot so he just added a cooler form summit with a fan. so far it has dropped the over all temp 15 degrees. He seems to be happy with that.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
220-240 something like that. The trans temp light goes off on my truck at about 260 or so...
the light goes off at 260. is that on 48re's only. You start to ruin seals at 240 degrees, at least that is on hyd systems. Good God 260 is hot.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
the light goes off at 260. is that on 48re's only. You start to ruin seals at 240 degrees, at least that is on hyd systems. Good God 260 is hot.
Well I should have said I was told that so I could be wrong, honest I was thinking the same thing as you...that 260 seemed WAAAAY too hot...I would crap a brick if my trans hit 220 let alone 260...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I work in engineering and design and support heavy offroad equipment every day. High fluid temperatures (hydraulics, transmissions, & engines) are always at the top of our battle as we constantly have to educate folks who don't know fluids.

If the warning comes on when you hit 260F - it might as well say too late! ANYTHING over 200F is insane. I install aftermarket coolers on my own vehicles where needed to keep fluid temps under 180F and it has proven itself well - over 250k miles on my last truck with original automatic still working fine.

Look into publications such as Lubrication Engineer, Reliable Plant, or Lubes & Greases. Oxidation and permanent damage begin at much lower temperatures than many think, and even though synthetics are great, they won't let your transmission live to 250,000+ while running consistently over 200F.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Never seen mine above 160 even with trailer. I have edge warnings set at 180 - never gone off

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would never run mine 200* unless I was pulling over to get away of traffic. I have never seen over 185* pulling 13000 lb trailer up a 7% grade at 85* temp outside. If I did I would put a cooler on for sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 04s do have a trans temp warning light and when I asked Dodge what temp they are set to go off I was told "to hot, they come on in just enough time to tell you to go get a new transmission". I put a gauge in mine so I know exactly what the trans is doing rather that knowing it's to late and I need to look for a rebuild...Jeff

·
Registered
273 Posts
the only time mine warms up is when i am slow poking in the mountains 15-25 mph climbing and going slow and it has hit 248 according to the edge chip and i have had to pull over and wait for it to cool down. How do i fix it?

·
Registered
350 Posts
the only time mine warms up is when i am slow poking in the mountains 15-25 mph climbing and going slow and it has hit 248 according to the edge chip and i have had to pull over and wait for it to cool down. How do i fix it?
Best fill out your signature so we know what you have. First I would look into what gear your trans likes to stay in, I know it could and probably is in second, you could drop a gear or buy a copilot to lock the convertor or even install a better convertor. It made a nice differance on my truck when going slower because of the lower stall it has.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts