Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Trans temp sensor question.

671 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  GRUNT 11B 
#1 ·
I got a drain plug that i can thread my transmission temp sensor into, but i don't think it will work. When i thread the sensor into the plug, it's like 1/3 of an inch away from reaching the end of the plug. Since the sensor is only in that far, i'd think i wouldn't get very accurate readings since the sensor is not exactly in the fluid and I'd think the plan would cool the sensor. Just wanted to see your guys thoughts on this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
That is because the sensor and plug may not be the same pipe thread (tapered vs straight), but they may be the same # of threads per inch. So it does not strip and or leak it should be fine. The fluid circuits enough over it it should accurate enough anyway. Temps vary a lot from part of the trani to another. So what you want to do is figure out what is normal for it and then look for increases over probably 50 degrees. Like if it normally runs 150 and goes up to say 200 you know you are getting too hot or border line. I do not know exact specs.

#4 ·
I tapped the threads farther into the plug, so the sensor is almost flush with the end of the plug. There is still enough threads on the sensor for me to tighten it.

#5 ·
My results
I took it for a test spin and the temp stayed at 100°. Going up a hill that's about a mile long at 35 MPH it hit a little over 100°. Got home and let it idle for a few mins and it climbed up to 160° and then started dropping. The trans does have a deep pan.

#6 ·
100 is low for operation temp, but I guess low ambient temps could affect it. It would go up while idling due to no circulation through the cooler but being circulated through the heat exchanger in the coolant on the block. Use a infrared sensor on the case and pan to compare to you sensor. Most run about 145 on pan during summer freeway driving for many miles without load or towing. Staying under 165 all the time you are good to go.

#7 ·
I did think that was a little cool. It was 45° out, so not too cold. I'll grab my buddies temp gun and see it what it says compared to my gauge.

#9 ·
Remember the fluid coming back from the converter hard line is about 50f higher than the pan fluid temp.

The trans guts see fluid temps somewhere in between.

As long as the factory sensor allows OD & LU, I wouldn't sweat 100f in the pan as being too cold.

#10 ·
Remember the fluid coming back from the converter hard line is about 50f higher than the pan fluid temp.

The trans guts see fluid temps somewhere in between.

As long as the factory sensor allows OD & LU, I wouldn't sweat 100f in the pan as being too cold.
What's LU? I think one day im gonna move the sensor into the hot line that goes into the cooler.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.