Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put gauges on my new truck, 08 mega cab. I was planning on ordering from diesel manor. I ordered gauges for my last truck from them, and everything I needed was included. This time around, not sure where everyone is putting the trans temp sender. On my 5.9 I replaced a line on the trans to the cooler, that had a port built into the line, so it was a snap to install. Does anyone know of anything like this? Or are you guys just tapping into the pan?

Another quick question? Whos got the best DPF delete kit? I am looking to get one that isn't going to drive me nuts throwing CEL or MIL, I want NO LIGHTS or anything like that. I also really hate to spend a fortune, and it looks like prices vary alot! from like $350 for h&s to $800+ for the BADP kit. I do not need a new downpipe, and was planning on sticking with 4". Basically looking for a 4" all the way back straight pipe, with all necessary sender ports, etc in place, and any necessary fooler boxes included.

Thanks!

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Best setup is gonna be the BADP code free box. It is more money but the only one out. All the others at this point will throw codes. You will want to change the downpipe though. there is a CAT in it.

For the Temp Gauge, i think there are 2 ports on the drivers side of the tranny. You will want to install the sending unit in the second one closest to the back.

·
Banned
885 Posts
It used to be .... the best accurate place for trans temp was the pan.... This new 6spd though might be right with what compcowboy said...

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I like the hot line to the cooler myself, it seems to show the highest temperatures - many 'subject matter experts' say the usable lifespan of the fluid is based on the highest temperature it has been used at.

In addition to the hotline I have the Insight which pulls the temp reading from the factory sensor somewhere in the transmission pan area, locked up on the highway the two readings are very close but get in traffic or on the streets and the hotline starts to get hot quick.

·
Registered
705 Posts
What kits or parts are available to tap into the "hot line"?
thanks,

George

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I agree, the test port on the driver side of the trans is the best place and the easiest place to mount the sender. That's where I have mounted the sender in all of my trucks and I have had good luck.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
What kits or parts are available to tap into the "hot line"?
thanks,

George
There are T-taps that require you to cut the line and adapters such as the acu-temp that clamp onto the line without breaking into it - the acu-temp adapters can be subject to ambient variables more than the t-taps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts