Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running a built trans in my 06 mega cab. When I'm cruising on the highway or around town temps are usually around 165-180. When I'm in stop and go traffic or the truck is idling for a while, the trans temp starts to climb pretty rapidly. I've seen it as high as 210. Once I start moving again it drops back down to normal temps. I'm monitoring this on a Edge CTS2.

I'm assuming the Edge is just reading wrong? I don't actually have a temp gauge in the trans, it's just pulling from the truck data. I know anything over 200 is no bueno. The trans was just serviced and they said everything looked good. I haven't noticed anything different while driving either other than the quickly rising temp.

Truck has 130,000ish miles and about 36,000 on the built trans. I've looked into getting an actual trans temp probe to add the Edge, it's been ordered but figured I'd ask in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You should be driving in tow/haul mode the majority of the time unless your cruiseing at highway speeds. This will keep transmission temps down since your getting full lock up in each gear. It also better for the transmission long term. 180* isnt bad for temps especially if it's hot outside.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I can turn it on on the fly or should I be stopped? And just switch it off when getting the highway? I’ll try it tomorrow on my way to work.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Thanks for the info. I can turn it on on the fly or should I be stopped? And just switch it off when getting the highway? I’ll try it tomorrow on my way to work.
Get in the habbit of tuning tow/haul mode on everytime you start your truck. Yes, once you enter a highway just click it off, when you exit click it back on. DO NOT click it on if you are above 60mph because this will cause your transmission to downshift.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If your seeing those temps from the edge alone and not an actual sensor you have zero issues to worry about. The edge gets its data from the transducer which is internal of the trans. An actual sensor in the pan reading those temps is really nothing to worry about either. (Sensor in the actual hot line will read higher then what your seeing now.)
When I had a cts it would read ~40* higher then my actual pan temp.
Get a real sensor in it somewhere before you worry about what you’re seeing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree with Eric-07, I have an Edge as well and freaked out after I installed it because the trans temp was reading high, or so I thought. I installed an actual sensor in the pan and saw the temps over 30° cooler than the ECM reading from the Edge.

Nothing to work about...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Would the tranny temp read the same for a smarty that is pulling directly from ecm? I am having a similar issue with mine when sitting in traffic mine has seen low 200 after sitting in traffic 10minutes or even a drive through.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I would think the smarty gets its info from the same place (transducer) as the cts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So are you saying its actually showing higher than it is and I need to be in tow mode when sitting in slow traffic?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I am saying it reads higher.
Due to location of the transducer it becomes heat soaked and what your seeing is more the temp of internal metal parts more so then your fluid temp.
Like I said before when I had a cts it would read up to 40* higher on really hot days then my analog gauge with the sensor in the pan submerged in fluid.
IMO the temps mentioned here are of no concern due to what I have experienced.
If you want to drive around in tow/haul go for it. It won’t hurt a thing. If not then don’t again I doubt it’ll hurt anything.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Gotcha! And if I was to install a second more accurate temp guage the pan is where I would put it correct?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The pan is a good place to monitor as it will let the sensor be submerged in the fluid and give you a good representation of what’s going on.
Some guys put a sensor in the hot line which will show high temps because it’s right out of the converter and before any of the coolers. Some might put it in the return line which should show a nice cool temp being after the coolers but before it goes back into the trans. In the pan IMO kind of tells “the whole story” if you will.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The transducer also does have a temperature offset and scalar programmed into the ecm. Getting the transmission tuned to get into 3rd locked sooner, extending the 3-4 shift and stay held in lockup when off the throttle makes a big difference as well and eliminates the need of cycling between normal mode and tow/haul mode.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts