Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed something today that struck me as odd.

I did city driving for about 45 minutes. I parked in a lot for 20 minutes, with the truck in park (and idling), and my trans temp got up to 194 degrees. Outside temp was about 70F.

That's hotter than its even gotten before (according to my Edge records).

Is this something I should look into more?

· Registered
496 Posts
my tranny runs hot if your parked leave it in nuetral

· Registered
406 Posts
Only thing I can think of is the temp got that high due to no air flow through the cooler. And since it was sitting there at idle the temp got up to a point that matched the engine temp seeing as how they are connected via the bellhousing.
Maybe...:confused013:

· Registered
1,171 Posts
That is normal.

You will notice the same thing when you drive off road slowly. The engine is not working hard at all so it never gets warm but the trans gets very hot.

· Premium Member
255 Posts
I thought someone posted on here that the oil does not circulate when it is in park........

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did some testing.

In park, the temp will go to 190-200.

In neutral, it will hover between 170-175.

Cruising around it will be at 150-168.

Maybe the higher temperature is causing these higher trans temps I'm seeing.

· Registered
2,331 Posts
Your tranny starts whining at 260ish F. Most Ive seen was 263f for roughly 15 minutes. Stop in go traffic 2 hours up and down hills. Our trucks hate going slow uphill with 20,000 behind you. Anyways, my truck still is fine, never have really any shavings at all on magnets. normal hwy cruising temp is 140-170 depending on weather this time of year. Normal city traffic 1 hours worth flat land is 210-240f. I start to really watch it at 230f but I tend to beleive its safe till about 250f. At that point you wanna shut her down or find a highway.

Nuetral is correct, drive is the same. When you take off from stopping im sure you notice your F's drop quickly.

Anyways 165,000 miles and shes doing good. Only replaced Ujoints in shaft once at 135,000 miles. I know my ac is bout to go. The pump with the pully in engine bay actually smoked a few days ago at startup and i guess bearing grease was oozing. But after a few minutes, like always, i was blowing cold and good to go. lol, for now

· Registered
241 Posts
That's good to know. I noticed since it started getting hot out here in AZ that my tranny temps have shot up a bit. Saw 193 for the first time with my camper loaded. I wasn't sure what to make of it.

Your tranny starts whining at 260ish F. Most Ive seen was 263f for roughly 15 minutes. Stop in go traffic 2 hours up and down hills. Our trucks hate going slow uphill with 20,000 behind you. Anyways, my truck still is fine, never have really any shavings at all on magnets. normal hwy cruising temp is 140-170 depending on weather this time of year. Normal city traffic 1 hours worth flat land is 210-240f. I start to really watch it at 230f but I tend to beleive its safe till about 250f. At that point you wanna shut her down or find a highway.

Nuetral is correct, drive is the same. When you take off from stopping im sure you notice your F's drop quickly.

Anyways 165,000 miles and shes doing good. Only replaced Ujoints in shaft once at 135,000 miles. I know my ac is bout to go. The pump with the pully in engine bay actually smoked a few days ago at startup and i guess bearing grease was oozing. But after a few minutes, like always, i was blowing cold and good to go. lol, for now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.