Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 97 3500. I put a new trans in it last summer. Last fall, i would drive at about 60 mph and the trans would shift in and out of either OD or 3rd and 4th. I put in a new TPS and it stopped doing it. Now its doing it again. If i give it gas at 55 mph, it will shift normally, when i let off at my desired speed, it will downshift. Anybody here of something like this before? I heard of adjusting the throttle valve cable, but i need to know before i screw with it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
In the pan of ur tranny there is a electric coil the makes ur od goin in and out, this coil could be bad and what is causing it to goin in out during highy speeds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill check it out. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
brake sensor

hey i have a 94 and my brake sensor went out. it behind the brake pedal when you hit your brakes it will down shift out of od. try playing with your brake when it starts cuttin up.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Lift up on the brake pedal when it pops out. The brake switch will do this to you, easy replace. The TPS and coil are a shot but don't forget to check the wires for corrosion or breaks too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
kinda off the subject, but My TPS is out, I need another, the dodge house wanted almost $300 for one, last time I checked they were like $70. Was yours any cheaper? If so where from...

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I work at a body shop so i get a discount from dodge and got mine for $180. But list is around $300. Aftmk is probally the cheapest.

And yes it was my brake pedal sensor sticking that was my problem.

Thanks A LOT!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I fixed my problem, hope this can help others, the TPS wires that run from tps down to transmission had bare wires showing where the coding had came off i put black tape around them and fixed the problem from it shifting out of overdrive, Took truck to amco transmission a month ago wanted to charge me 1500.00 dollars said it was converter or o/d silinoid in trany, Glad i took truck home and saved me 1500.00 dollars. by the way how i knew it was a wire issue, i took it down to a local shop which is a buddy of mine he hooked up the computer to my truck and it had error tps sensor low voltage, it was at o then i moved the wired and got .92 voltage move it more and voltage would go up and down, so we knew we had electrical issue so i took it home and traced wires from tps to tranny, Im so Happy paid $500.00 dollars for a 94 dodge diesel with banks system on it. ya cheap got it from family member.ps check the wires right around the connecters also

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hooked up a snapon scanner to my truck and it read that my tps was at full throttle before and after i replaced it. U think that my wiring also could be bad? It was reading 99% throttle at like 5 volts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
when we hooked computer up it said it should have 1.25 voltage to it at all times. then when you give it throttle voltage should go up more, you can test all that with key on and leave motor off. i would for sure trace the wires.

·
Registered
78 Posts
my trucks been doin that stupid in and out of od thing, sometimes itll do it and sometomes it wont ? 1994 12v

·
Registered
135 Posts
Kickdown cable adjustment will help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts