Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68rfe 6 speed trans. I plan to do service this weekend. When I pull the pan and filters i plan to let it drip till it stops. I have read where guys only use 7 quarts on this service. Does this seem right. If I let it drain over night will it be more than 7? 2500 2014 ram 4×4 ctd

·
Registered
13,704 Posts
"Drip till it stops" HA,HA,HA!!! It'll drip FOREVER!!!:rof:rof:rof

I wouldn't(and don't) fool with leaving it drain that long.

I don't recall how many quarts for a stock pan drain, maybe as much as 8 quarts, buy extra, you can always use it for the next change.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
"Drip till it stops" HA,HA,HA!!! It'll drip FOREVER!!!:rof:rof:rof

I wouldn't(and don't) fool with leaving it drain that long.

I don't recall how many quarts for a stock pan drain, maybe as much as 8 quarts, buy extra, you can always use it for the next change.
What @Ltngdrvr said. I haven't serviced my 68 yet, but I've done a couple servicings on a 45RFE. I once left the pan off overnight while doing some work on the valve body and it continually dripped.

·
Registered
13,704 Posts
Trans service like this is just a small blood transfusion, not a complete change, just freshening it up, getting some fresh additives in, so going long on the drain time just isn't at all critical.

And, in 455K miles, and 7 trans services (60K interval), the old fluid has always come out looking like I'm wasting my time changing it.

So, no need to get too worried about getting all the old fluid out, especially since there will still be about 6-7 quarts left in the converter and internal passages that you will never get drained out on a pan drop change.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Get 10, I used 9 last time. I usually let it drain about an hour.

Since we’re on the topic, what’s the general opinion of the upgraded machined filter screw? I’ve been considering ordering one for next service, but have read mixed things.. some say it’s not neccesary as long as you don’t over torque?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Get 10, I used 9 last time. I usually let it drain about an hour.

Since we’re on the topic, what’s the general opinion of the upgraded machined filter screw? I’ve been considering ordering one for next service, but have read mixed things.. some say it’s not neccesary as long as you don’t over torque?
It replaces the plastic nipple that comes on the trans spin on filter.

·
Registered
13,704 Posts
Yeah, the threaded insert for the oem spin-on filter inside the pan, is plastic. And, lots of people apparently think you need to gorilla tighten that filter, and end up breaking or stripping the threads on that little plastic part.

I've never had an issue with it. Worst part was the first change, getting the original filter loose, they come from the factory like the original engine oil filter, so tight you almost have to destroy the filter to get it off. It's because they were assembled by a machine originally, not installed by human hands. I used my large channel lock pliers to remove my original filter, but just hand tightened the new filter. Just have to make sure you have a clean, fluid free filter so you can get a good grip on it. I also use mechanics gloves for better grip.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
My 14 will be 6 years in March 2020. Will have almost 50K and towing 8K every summer about 4K a year. I've seen the oils get pretty hot. Would it be worth anything to change the trans oil early. Just a pan drop and filter change. I'll probably do it myself.

·
Registered
13,704 Posts
My 14 will be 6 years in March 2020. Will have almost 50K and towing 8K every summer about 4K a year. I've seen the oils get pretty hot. Would it be worth anything to change the trans oil early. Just a pan drop and filter change. I'll probably do it myself.
Wouldn't hurt.

Whether it's worth it is up to you, if you plan to keep it another 6 years then it would probably be a good thing.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I did my first service at about 82k miles. Fluid looked like new. Lots of mixed daily driving and towing across country. I'm at 130k now. Definetly will extend that interval on the next service.

FWIW - When I serviced mine, changing both filters, I added almost 10.5 quarts. Based on gsbrockman's findings, looks like we agreed on the amount it takes. When changing the filters, alot more drains out. So let it drain awhile. I can't remotely understand when the Dealer tells people 6 or so quarts is needed... Not even close....:confused013::doh:

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/07-5-09-3rd-gen-6-7l-powertrain/373418-68rfe-transmission-filters-fluid-change.html#post3895892

·
Registered
161 Posts
I could easily see it being 10 quarts or better. Reason I say that is I recently did my first service and used a little more than 14 quarts as I put a PML pan on in place of the stock pan.

·
Registered
800 Posts
i changed mine at 30K

·
Registered
13,704 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I changed mine at 43K miles and used 11 quarts. I'll do the same again when it reaches 90K miles. I tow a 10K+# 5th wheel.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts