Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Trans Issue...Any Help??

896 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  DRCMILLER
I have a2003 ram 3500. 5.9L. 4-speed automatic with 111k miles. the truck has been shifting fine, but now one of two things happen. One, it will start out in first gear and shift fine through but will NOT go into overdrive. Or two it will start out in second gear and shift fine through and WILL go into overdrive. And then at times it shifts through all gears with no issues. Ive changed/checked fluids. Just wandering if someone could give me an idea what's going on. thanks
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Shuttle Shift is what you are experiencing.

Do a search for shuttle shift and you will find out that you need to replace the governer pressure sensor and transducer. There are lots of write ups on here about how to do it.

It is very easy to do. If you can change your transmission fluid and filter you can change these.

FWIW, the 47RE and 48RE are 3 speed transmissions. What feels like 4th is when the torque converter locks up around 43 MPH.

· Registered
498 Posts
I thought our transmissions were 4 speeds. 3 speed 727 with an O/D bolted on the back making forth and then also a Lock-up on the TC

· Registered
3 Posts
Ok, I have a similar problem then on my 2003 5.9 Auto 4x2. Shift 1 through 3 OK but not into 4 or OD. When I manually put it in 2nd it won't downshift from 3 to 2 unless I step on the fuel. Can shift manually from 2 to 1 OK. Cruise doesn't work. Two Dealers in town and they are only guessing - they have both said they need to start with TPS. Error code was P0123. I'm lost on this as are the Dealers.
DRCMILLER

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.