Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled my hts built trans last week for repairs and noticed the heat exchanger under the turbo is shot. Haven't had coolant or trans. Fluid contamination yet. Was wondering if I can just take the exchanger out of the cooler circuit? Where can i find the cooler lines to run straight to the radiator cooler?

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I think there are threads about this on the site....

·
Premium Member
15,620 Posts
You can bypass the heat exchnager if so desired. You will have to have custom lines built to fit.

The heta excahnger pulls a lot more heta from the trans that air-air cooler does so you might have to add a secondary cooler if your temps are too high.

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
are there aftermarket fluid-to-fluid heat exchangers that hold up better than the behr POS?

·
Premium Member
15,620 Posts
are there aftermarket fluid-to-fluid heat exchangers that hold up better than the behr POS?
Nope, the OE one is really top of line in this type of item. You can find some replacements but there is no info to indicate they are better or the factory one is a POS.

Lets face it, this thing has to operate in a hostile environment getting rattled constant by an engine that is know for high harmonics. Aside form the space shuttle, it don't get more hostile than hooked to a Cummins. :hehe:

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
im at the point where i gotta either throw this thing back on or bypass it. im in northeast indiana so we dont get too harsh of anythin as far as weather goes. i dont tow, trucks just a dd/toy. would i be ok just disconnecting the coolant from exchanger to avoid the possibility of cross contamination? i figure if necessary i can run a heater pad on the tranny pan and an aux cooler if i see issues afterwards...

truck had ~190k before i tore it down and the exchanger itself looks like hell, which is what has me freakin out about it. a new one is $350 @ cummins but i been readin for hours an the one dude had his new one fail after 50k or so.

:banging:

·
Premium Member
15,620 Posts
You can run it without the heat exchanger. In colder weather just make sure you drop the trans into neutral on warmup so the fluid gets warmer faster. It won't self destruct wihtout coolant heating the fluid if you take a little time in cold weather to get the fluid flowing before driving away.

Reactions: 8secondride

·
MOLON LABE
2,599 Posts
You can run it without the heat exchanger. In colder weather just make sure you drop the trans into neutral on warmup so the fluid gets warmer faster. It won't self destruct wihtout coolant heating the fluid if you take a little time in cold weather to get the fluid flowing before driving away.
thanks man. i usually take it pretty easy when its cold out anyways until everything gets warmed up. looks like i got some fluid to reroute this weekend! just when i thought i was makin progress!

edit: i get the CON of atf not heating up as fast. but would the atf not keeping pace with higher coolant levels during normal driving conditions/standstill be a PRO? also, was thinkin about runnin a coolant filter before i ran into this. could i route the coolant through the filter then to the stock return barb on the side of the block under the plenum? or am i an idiot...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts