Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually drive my truck like an old man, rpms never go above 2k. Yesterday while passing someone I put the peddle down about 1/2 to 3/4 to get around them. The trans shifted fine but once I hit about 60 and the TC went to lock the rpms were at about 2100,dropped to 2000, spiked back up to 2100 then the TC locked. Im not sure if that was a slip,or if its supposed to do that to protect the trans or what exactly is going on.

I took the truck out again today and under the same conditions it did it again. If I drive normally the TC locks up at about 54mph and has no rpm "flare" if you want to call it that.

Has anyone had this happen? I it normal or am I going to be needing a rebuild in the near future? The truck just rolled over to 132,000 miles, no 5th wheel or heavy towing.

If anyone has any input I greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is it showing any codes? Sounds like for some reason it is hunting...could be a gov press solenoid/sensor issue

·
Registered
770 Posts
mine did that and i took it to the transmission shop and the band was out so they adjusted it and put a new filter and oil in it and haven't had a issue since (knock on wood).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no codes with they key turn method of checking. I'll call my local trans shop tomorrow, and see when they can get it in for an adjustment. Thanks guys

·
Registered
601 Posts
if you even slightly came off throttle as in foot relaxed/twitched the ecm would instantly read off throttle on throttle which could have caused that lock/unlock/lock... seen that many times and someone goes and gets trans rebiult for peace of mind... same issue with ABS, feather the brake and it throws the ABS out of wack and people think something's wrong with brakes...

could be the lock-up solenoid but it usually tosses a code up...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts