Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Trans Fluid

958 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  CoalRoller
Looking to change the fluid in my trans. Just wonder what brand to use. What weight. and how much does it take to fill.

6 speed nv5600

Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
165 Posts
Penzoil Synchromesh transmission oil is what I understand is popular in the NV5600. I believe that's something like a 70W-80 grade GL 4 lube. Information I have on capacity is 9.5 pints.

Redline offers MTL which is full syntethic transmission oil, if you'd want to go that route, albeit more expensive. I'm sure there are more options for fluids.

· Registered
1,229 Posts
I would stay away from "syncromesh" fluids. They are too thin(hence why they shift smoother) but dont protect the transmission the way they should.

Redline and Amsoil make the best fluids imo, id go with whichever is easiest to attain locally.

Jason

· Registered
1,120 Posts
i have a 6 speed and i had a trany guy and the guys down at bd diesel tell me to go to the dealer and get the dodge nv5600 fluid, they told me that the six speeds are vary finicky and i have go to both of thees shop many times and for both of them to say go to dodge i trust there judgment

· Registered
2,047 Posts
The nv5600 (6 speed) does not use the same fluid as a nv4500 (5 speed). 5w30 Syncromesh is what it calls for. I have amsoil 5w30 syncromesh in mine.

· Registered
165 Posts
Just remember, 5W-30 grade has nothing to do with transmissions, that is an engine oil grade. The 5 speed NV4500 actually takes a heavier grade than does the NV5600 which is 75W-85. Manual transmission lubes are different from other hypoid gear lubes, as they contian the correct amount of friction modifiers to make the synchros operate properly, and have 1/2 the sulfur and phorphorus that is more friendly to the yellow metals found in transmissions.

It has been my experience, that gear lubes for the NV5600 are more readily available than those for the NV4500. Simply trying to be helpful, and not a marketeer for a particular brand. Cheers.

· Registered
2,047 Posts
Just remember, 5W-30 grade has nothing to do with transmissions, that is an engine oil grade. The 5 speed NV4500 actually takes a heavier grade than does the NV5600 which is 75W-85. Manual transmission lubes are different from other hypoid gear lubes, as they contian the correct amount of friction modifiers to make the synchros operate properly, and have 1/2 the sulfur and phorphorus that is more friendly to the yellow metals found in transmissions.

It has been my experience, that gear lubes for the NV5600 are more readily available than those for the NV4500. Simply trying to be helpful, and not a marketeer for a particular brand. Cheers.
:banghead: I couldn't care less what brand you use but just stick with an approved fluid. I'm pretty sure I didn't put engine oil in my transmission either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.