Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first time changing my transmission fluid an filter. Is there any suggestions on which transmission fluid you guys would recommend. I've seen a lot of people talking about valvoline full synthetic, any more suggestions would help. Thanks!

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i just had valvoline do a trans flush to get a majority of the old fluid out and they replaced it with valvoline maxlife, is this good or bad?

· Registered
1,987 Posts
Well i just had valvoline do a trans flush to get a majority of the old fluid out and they replaced it with valvoline maxlife, is this good or bad?
valvoline is a brand name... ATF+4 is the content, I have three different brands of ATF sitting on my garage shelf. They are all identical no matter the brand name lol :S:

And was it a true "flush" of the lines and cooler? Sometimes that can wreak havoc by pulling debris back into the transmission and is very controversial to say the least.

I just try to change my pan fluid every 25k or so...

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so im good on the valvoline maxlife? All they did was put a tube down my trans dip stick while in park then had me switch to nuetral after about 5 mins while sucking out the old stuff back to park that whole process took about 20 minutes then they added 16.6 quarts of the maxlife.

· Premium Member
11,939 Posts
If the Maxlife did not say ATF+4 on the bottle it is the wrong stuff. Only ATF+4 is acceptable. The tranny shops have figured (many of them) that a supposedlly allpurpose oil make them more profit and is easy to sell. Besides they think they are experts. Yes, some other fluid additive package will work. However, no scientific testing is done. Chrysler spendt millions of dollars and 1000's of hours selecting quality additives to do best job.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the Maxlife did not say ATF+4 on the bottle it is the wrong stuff. Only ATF+4 is acceptable. The tranny shops have figured (many of them) that a supposedlly allpurpose oil make them more profit and is easy to sell. Besides they think they are experts. Yes, some other fluid additive package will work. However, no scientific testing is done. Chrysler spendt millions of dollars and 1000's of hours selecting quality additives to do best job.
well it was pumped in using a machine so there were no bottles. I guess if my trans fu#ks up then we'll kniw the real truth since im getting back an forth answers huh

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just call the shop and ask what they use. Chances are if you check the trans dipstick and it's pink, you got the right stuff...
its pink alright haha. My trans shifts smooth an the operating temp is around 155-170 degrees.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Understandable. Well so far the valvoline maxlife is treating my tranny good. Its still shifting normal amd ive noticed a decrease in my operating trans temp as much as 25 degress so thats good imo.

· Registered
51 Posts
Swapped mine with hyped up amsoil. Works pretty well I must admit, shifts a lot better

· Registered
306 Posts
Your original post says you want to change the fluid and filter. The power flush machines don't change the filter...this still needs to be done, plus your bands should be checked/adjusted, if you haven't already done it. IMHO better to drop the pan, then do it all at once.

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

· Registered
51 Posts
where did you buy it and is it atf+4 or does it meet atf+4 requirements?
Straight off their website, I have a sort of status/membership with them which makes it cheaper or whatnot..
As mentioned, they don't have any of their sh1te certified so they claim that it meets the requierements... no way to know, that's really what bothers me. And I don't like how they go out and do their e like a pyramid scheme and throw claims all over but... they have kind of made their proof over time, and all the diesel builders from ontario to the maritimes use their stuff, so I have faith in it. I ran it in all my cars and trucks for many years now and it always has done good, even in my Mercedes E320 CDI's transmission, which is quite finnicky. One way or another, I know that it's always full syntehtic goup IV oil, which is second to none (maybe group v but that's something else entirely lol). I have masoil in the T case, and the diffs, and boy, the truck felt like a hwole different beast after changing all the fluids to new synthetic!

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your original post says you want to change the fluid and filter. The power flush machines don't change the filter...this still needs to be done, plus your bands should be checked/adjusted, if you haven't already done it. IMHO better to drop the pan, then do it all at once.

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup
I know It was a sudden change of direction didnt have time to do the trans fluid myself and it needed changed BAD! so I took it over to valvoline they sucked out all the old tranny fluid through the dipstick tube an put in valvoline maxlife which is treating my trans quite well as of right now. I might still go and replace it this weekend with a oil that has atf+4 on the bottle. Any recommendations for transmission fluid an filter would be highly appreciated.

· Registered
263 Posts
Sucking it up through the dipstick will probably not get the fluid that is inside the torque converter, right?

I know several people who regularly drain their transmissions that way or using a drain plug in a replacement pan, but they do the fluid swap more often than the recommended service interval because each iteration does leave a significant amount of fluid in the TC.

I personally am partial to the Mopar ATF+4 for my Jeep (still shopping for a Ram truck), which I believe is also made with a synthetic base.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sucking it up through the dipstick will probably not get the fluid that is inside the torque converter, right?

I know several people who regularly drain their transmissions that way or using a drain plug in a replacement pan, but they do the fluid swap more often than the recommended service interval because each iteration does leave a significant amount of fluid in the TC.

I personally am partial to the Mopar ATF+4 for my Jeep (still shopping for a Ram truck), which I believe is also made with a synthetic base.
I cant seem to find mopar atf+4 other than the dealer and i think they want around 11$ a quart

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.