Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting my built trans back in. Whats a good filter to order for the trans? Also My transfer case and trans and torque converter are completely dry. What type of fluid goes in the transfer case and transmission and how much do I need for it all?? The transfer case looked like motor oil..

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
go with the stock filter that was in it should be fine as far as the transfercase and transmission go i would reccommend amsoil ATF IN BOTH GOOD FOR 100,000 and i think the transfer case take 4 qts but cant remember but the trans plus the torque if their completely dry should be around 16 or 17 qts to fill

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of transmission fluid does our transmission use? Do I put the same thing or something different into the transfer case? I also got a double deep pan

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
ATF+4 transmission fluid. Get yourself 6gals/24qts of fluid. Go to Wal-Mart for the tranny fluid. They sell the Mopar ATF+4 fluid for $4.41 a quart. My local dealer wants $32 a gal for it. Mopar ATF+4 is every bit as good as Amsoil for this situation. The 48re needs new fluid every 30,000 miles for a long and prosperous happy life. Amsoil will run you around $200 and that is the preferred customer price including tax and shipping. That is also the same price that a independant dealer will get.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
well it gets you by but i wouldnt say it the same or everyone would use wally world atf but the proof is in the puddin as far as the amsoil goes also pay now or pay later!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you have the money. Amsoil,at wally world mopar atf 4 is trans fluid with additives now!When i did my 03 the only place i could find atf 4 was dodge or expensive synthetic.I was about to buy dodge atf.When i went into autozone i checked agian they had val atf 4 syn.Amsoil will do what they say,but i can't leave my filterin that long! my opioniononnonnnn.

·
Registered
264 Posts
if you got your tranny built put Mercon 5 or dexron 5 wont do nothing but help you. gels at a low low temperature plus it holds together till 230 degree's if you have the money do mercon 6 even it gains you 15 more degrees until 245 that +4 is out dated in my mind.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Sounds like some ppl are confused. Walmart sells the genuine Mopar ATF+4 fluid in quarts. The Walmart brand (Supertech) is something different which supposedly meets ATF+4 standards.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wouldn't use walmarts . I was looking at mopars at wallys and couldn't find any where it said syn on it. I could be wrong? IN 06 you could NOt find atf 4 at napa or carquest,shucks,ect.I couldn't even find a filter.I got alittle over 50,000 miles now and the val syn is in good shape, but i am changing IT any way! SO PLEASE EDUCATE ME BECAUSE I AM ABOUT TO CHANGE MY ATF AND FILTER AND ADD A TRANSGO

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yes, the Mopar is synthetic. It is a Group III synthetic.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes my trans is built.. So is the walmart mopar atf+4 what I need to use?? Its a synthetic right?

·
Registered
133 Posts
What did your tranny builder suggest for fluid since they built it?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Did you use stock paper clutches in that "built" trans?
If you have stock paper clutches, use the +4 or Amsoil ATF.

Did you use Alto red eagle's?
If you used the Red Eagle frictions.... The Mopar synth +4 is meaningless.

Use Amsoil ATF and an AFE filter if you have the Alto Red-Eagle "High Energy" frictions and Koleen steels.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you use stock paper clutches in that "built" trans?
If you have stock paper clutches, use the +4 or Amsoil ATF.

Did you use Alto red eagle's?
If you used the Red Eagle frictions.... The Mopar synth +4 is meaningless.

Use Amsoil ATF and an AFE filter if you have the Alto Red-Eagle "High Energy" frictions and Koleen steels.
Whats the difference if I were to run a different set of clutchs.. Whats the fluid have to do with that

·
Registered
602 Posts
Whats the fuid got to do with the thrust bearings, valve body or helical gears? All transmissions from the days of dirt had similar hard parts..... the fluid has to do with friction modifiers for the clutch material and capacities. If you run OEM paper clutch material, use the +4 stuff for sure. If you use Alto red eagle..... Dodge and thier fluid requirements are out the window. What does Alto want you to run with thier material? Your trans builder should steer you here. Use what he recomends for the clutches he used.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Transfer case holds 2.5 qts. There is a high fill plug so you can't overfill it. Recommended oil is ATF+4

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Being you just paid out good hard earned $$$ why would you want to use cheap ATF fluid in your rebuilt transmission? If you don't want to spend the $$ on Redline or Amsoil ATF then at least see if you can get find a Schaeffer oil rep to get some of there ATF as I heard its better then the Group III fluid plus additive ATF that Mopar uses.

·
Registered
602 Posts
OK, I emailed Roy over at Alto to ask this question to him directly. As most of you know, Alto is what clutch most of you run when you buy a performance transmission. Some use the stock paper clutch, the higher end ones use Alto Red-Eagle "High Energy" friction materials with Koleen steels. I'll also assume that while building this trans you have a triple disk convertor with upgraded friction material and most likley a hendrix billet cover. Again, OEM fluid recomendations go out the window....

So, you simply ask the folks that built the trans... what clutches do you have. If you have the OEM paper clutch, you use the ATF+4 certified fluid for sure. If you have the Alto material... as per Roy Baker....

Larry,

You can use any ATF you are comfortable with, only concern will be with the torque converter lining. Stock convertor clutch material would need the ATF+4.

The Alto Products Corp. plates will work with all of the current fluids out there.

Thanks

Roy Baker
Alto Products Corp.
Technical Director
Alto Way · Atmore · AL · 36502

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ok I'm changing my tranny pan this weekend so how many quarts do I need for a Mag-Hytec DD pan. I would like to get this close considering the cost of tranny fluid.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts