Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some input. Have my tranny out at the moment to rebuild it and I'm gonna make some new cooler lines but was wondering what thoughts were on the oil to water cooler weather to leave it in or to cut it out of the system completely?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
I think it's mainly due to climate, as it also heats up your trans in cold weather. I would take it to a radiator shop * get it cleaned & pressure checked.

Ed

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
it serves two purposes, 1. to warm up the transmission in the cold, but more importantly to COOL down the fluid when it gets to hot.

The reason is when your towing you want to keep your fluid withing a temperature range for the efficiency of the transmission, but you also want to keep the fluid from rising in temperature, thus why you have the cooler in the line, when the trans fluid goes much above 200F the coolant asorbs the heat from the transmission then drops it through the radiator cooler then back to the tranny.

·
Registered
213 Posts
An air to trans cooler will be more efficient than water to trans cooler. You are trying to cool hot trans fluid w/ 190degree water. I dont have an auto nor have i ever put a gauge on one to tell you how hot they get but it's pretty easy to figure out which one is mo' betta, Cool w/ 100 degree air or 190degree water... Now is it cost effective i will let you decide.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
An air to trans cooler will be more efficient than water to trans cooler. You are trying to cool hot trans fluid w/ 190degree water. I dont have an auto nor have i ever put a gauge on one to tell you how hot they get but it's pretty easy to figure out which one is mo' betta, Cool w/ 100 degree air or 190degree water... Now is it cost effective i will let you decide.
since you don't own an auto i'll tell you.

a stock auto will easily reach 220F towing grades grades, the coolant will exhaust the heat quicker, its much easier to bring 220F tranny fluid to 190F then it will be to take it from 220 to 100F in the same gph flow rate.

Also Even with my cooler in running a 200F thermostat (not a 190), my trans temps rarely get above 160, and that is including towing.

·
Registered
978 Posts
:agree2:
Think of it as a pre-cooler cooler. Fluid to fluid conducts/disipates heat faster than air. So when the trans fluid comes out of the exchanger is gonna be roughly engine coolant temp. then the air/fluid cooler can be more effective.
Think of a red hot piece of metal.. if you waive it around in the air, it will cool.. eventually. But dip it in some water and poof - it's the temp of the water in a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My $.02 Keep the stock setup and add another cooler inline before the radiator to help the stock system

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I agree with above, leave it on the truck.

Reactions: dozer12216

·
Registered
213 Posts
I guess my experience isn't with a diesel and isnt transmission related. We run dirt cars and the water/oil coolers only lowered the oil temp about 10-15 degrees. Also caused the water temp to go up which wasn't good, we were already running 200. The air/oil lowered oil temps about 30degrees w/o raising the coolant temps. All these guys have experience with these trucks so they know what works.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
The little bit of extra heat generated by the trans won't have any effect at all on the monstrous cooling capacity of these cummins engines.

Reactions: garagepeople

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I guess my experience isn't with a diesel and isnt transmission related. We run dirt cars and the water/oil coolers only lowered the oil temp about 10-15 degrees. Also caused the water temp to go up which wasn't good, we were already running 200. The air/oil lowered oil temps about 30degrees w/o raising the coolant temps. All these guys have experience with these trucks so they know what works.
and how many gallons of coolant capacity is your dirt car? these engines (and coolin system, have a GCWR of 66,000lbs, way more then any amount of heat put out by the transmission, or the engine oil, to think of it. (we also have an oil cooler as well..

in terms of gph flow of the transmission the heat exchanger on the block will remove more heat quicker then a similar air to oil cooler.

plus, the added external cooler on the 3500's helps immensely, its easier to drop stuff in stages.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hints the inline, before the stock "SYSTEM" for added help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts