Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my gauges put in(egt, boost, tranny temp.). I was just wondering if it was normal for my tranny temp. to never read over 100 degrees? The senders in the cooler line and it just never reads over 100. Is something wrong or is that just normal? Thats with just regular driving, not pulling anything if that matters. Thanks all

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
No, that is not normal.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Cant be right, mine usually runs around 125-150 around town, around 175 with a good load

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
When you say, "in the cooler line" do you mean the "hot line" or the return line (from the trans cooler)???

I could see 100 from the return line, but if it's hot line, your gauge isn't working.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just had my gauges put in(egt, boost, tranny temp.). I was just wondering if it was normal for my tranny temp. to never read over 100 degrees? The senders in the cooler line and it just never reads over 100. Is something wrong or is that just normal? Thats with just regular driving, not pulling anything if that matters. Thanks all
My sensor is installed in an aftermarket "hot" line and connected to my Quad Commander, since last fall. It NEVER read over 100 no matter how far I drove, until yesterday when I was pulling my 5th wheel. Shocked the crap out of when I noticed it was at 154... For some reason, it took pulling my 5er to get it to start working??? On the way back to work this afternoon, it was reading 145, so I a$$-u-me it is working.

·
Banned
146 Posts
I have my cooler Temp Sender in my pan. I can red as high as 185 towing, but generally in the city 140s is the norm in the cool summer.

I had it in the hot line, but the Tranny Guys told me that the best place to have a reading from is in the pan. They told me that it is more important to know the temp of the fluid before it goes into the body and not as it is coming out and headed to the cooler.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
There is nothing wrong with having it in the pan. The tranny pan temps are after the fluid has gone through both coolers. The only draw back is if you are seeing 200°+ temps with the probe in the tranny pan, then you are reading a heat soaked tranny.

Reading from the hot line coming out of the tranny reads real time temps that the TC is producing. Then it goes through both coolers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts