Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let me set the stage. It was thursday at about 6pm. The ambient temp was between 90-95 i had a total load of about 8000-9000 lbs and was on a constant grade. I was running at about 60 to 65mph and when i hit the bottom of the hill the tranny temp read 190. 3/4 of the way up i hit 220 and by the time i found a spot to stop it was at 250. Whats the deal? Am i running it to hard? If i run under 55 then the tranny does not lock up ant the temp rises REALLY fast. On the way home with a load of about 7000 lbs (I live 1 1/2 miles from the free way with 3 lights) I got off the freeway at 190 degress and was stopped by all three lights and by the time i got home i was just above 220.

Would i benefit from a deeper tranny pan? What else could i do?

·
Registered
56 Posts
where's your tranny coupler mounted, mine didnt read that high pulling 15,000lbs up the beeline hwy this wkend

·
Registered
443 Posts
How old is the tranny fluid? I would think that as it gets dirtier, thinner that it wouldn't take as much of a load to heat it up as when it was freshly changed.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
this is what i put in.
DieselManor - Dodge Generation 3 Cooler Line

The hill was the stretch from Black Canyon City to the Scienic overview.

The fluid is about 2 months old. never been over 200 and its ATF 4+

What about that deeper tranny pan?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know that hill well. With your 315's on there, that is making everything work harder especially up the Black Canyon hill. Even though your tranny is locked up you are pulling a lot of boost which in turn send all that power to the tranny which makes it work harder to stay locked. I see that happen to mine quit often also. Mine doesn't get quit that hot (220) but I see my tranny temp rise as my boost goes up even though the tranny is still locked. Highest I have seen is 250* coming out of Pine/Strawberry up to the rim pulling my toyhauler, but that is at 25mph in second gear. I'm sure someone with more experience will have a better expanation than mine.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so then would you say 220 is ok and 250 is bad? or are both good or both bad???
In reference to where i get my tranny temp?

·
Registered
87 Posts
What was your temps coming up the camp verde hill? 60-65mph with your 315's is probably lugging the motor a little. As a side note, what were your egt's while pulling the hill? 220 isnt bad for a short time, but it's not exactally good either.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the way home same thing. 3/4 the way up verde hill had to pull over and i was at about 7000-7500 lbs. I was doing good till i came up on a semi and had to slow down and pass. My EGTS I kept at about 1200-1250, never letting it go above 1300. My coolent temp was the highest i have seen it, at about 220-225.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i dont like how your reading the temp from the cooling line. i took my pan off and welded a nut inside of their and drilled a hole you want the PAN temperature. where your reading from of course its gonna be high cause the engine runs about 190 and so should the trans temp cause the engine cools it than goes into the front of the truck where the air cools it down further. i'd say get a Temp sensor in the pan. cause as far as im concerned those temps are reading just fine. im surprised it didnt go higher than that. especially if the converter unlocks you probaly see 280 no problems.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Yes, a deeper trans pan will help..the fluid will go into the TC a little cooler. You may also want to consider a synthetic ATF, like Amsoil...250* is by no means "safe"...

i dont like how your reading the temp from the cooling line. i took my pan off and welded a nut inside of their and drilled a hole you want the PAN temperature. where your reading from of course its gonna be high cause the engine runs about 190 and so should the trans temp cause the engine cools it than goes into the front of the truck where the air cools it down further. i'd say get a Temp sensor in the pan. cause as far as im concerned those temps are reading just fine. im surprised it didnt go higher than that. especially if the converter unlocks you probaly see 280 no problems.

No, it should be in the "hot line" like he has it. Tranny fluid will "cook" when it hits around 240*, reguardless of what the pan temp is....you're basically saying we should be reading EGTs out the tail pipe because it's had time to cool :w:

·
Premium Member
15,499 Posts
Yes, a deeper trans pan will help..the fluid will go into the TC a little cooler. You may also want to consider a synthetic ATF, like Amsoil...250* is by no means "safe"... Tranny fluid will "cook" when it hits around 240*, reguardless of what the pan temp is....
Deep pan won't help the heat created in the TC. That assumption is as wrong as the one about reading pan temp is good.

ATF+4 is a group 3 synthetic. It is rated to 320 degrees for a short period of time. It won't "cook" at 240.

Greatwhitehope, your temps are a little high but not abnormally so. The max reading of 250 is cause to start looking for problems but far from a serious issue. Since you have an 03 have you tried locking out OD to see if that helps? You might try a TC lockup switch to verify your TC is actually locked and holding well.

From your sig you have an aftermarket VB, what was done to make it work better? Have you done a TC?

Since you have a Smarty, have you run the trans without any upgrades for a while? Off hand, I would look at the TC clutch not holding the power, or, possibly the direct clutches slipping if the trans works good. If you have not already done so, removing the check ball from the drain back valve might help a bit also.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Deep pan won't help the heat created in the TC. That assumption is as wrong as the one about reading pan temp is good.
You're saying, if I put 5*F oil into the TC, I'm still going to get 240*F out..I don't think so...exaggeration yes but, cooler oil in = cooler oil out. A deeper trans pan will help.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

ATF+4 is a group 3 synthetic. It is rated to 320 degrees for a short period of time. It won't "cook" at 240.

Greatwhitehope, your temps are a little high but not abnormally so. The max reading of 250 is cause to start looking for problems but far from a serious issue. Since you have an 03 have you tried locking out OD to see if that helps? You might try a TC lockup switch to verify your TC is actually locked and holding well.

From your sig you have an aftermarket VB, what was done to make it work better? Have you done a TC?

Since you have a Smarty, have you run the trans without any upgrades for a while? Off hand, I would look at the TC clutch not holding the power, or, possibly the direct clutches slipping if the trans works good. If you have not already done so, removing the check ball from the drain back valve might help a bit also.
The aftermarket VB is the DB
https://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=1030419/532.0.20090.20102.2114.0.0
No i have not done the TC yet. What TC would you suggest? I do lock out the OD, need the RPM's to keep EGT's down and boost up.

Im not familier with the VB's, do you know where I can get a detailed picture of the VB? So i can remove the check ball.

I agree what towsit4x4 also said, the 315's could be lugging it also.

·
Premium Member
15,499 Posts
You're saying, if I put 5*F oil into the TC, I'm still going to get 240*F out..I don't think so...exaggeration yes but, cooler oil in = cooler oil out. A deeper trans pan will help.
Funny guy. After 20 minutes of running ALL the oil is going to be at the same temp, about 160 degrees. It doesn't matter if you have a deep pan and there is a problem that is causing the higher temps, it will spike the temp. The extra fluid capacity is good for heavy constant towing but pretty much a waste of time and $$$ for most people.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
greatwhitehope,

I could be wrong but IIRC the check ball is in the trans return line.

·
Premium Member
15,499 Posts
Im not familier with the VB's, do you know where I can get a detailed picture of the VB? So i can remove the check ball.

I agree what towsit4x4 also said, the 315's could be lugging it also.
The check ball is in the cooler lines at the front of the truck, just before the line enters the cooler. You will see a 3-4" extra metal fitting in one of the lines.

If you are still seeing those temps with OD locked out and you are sure the TC is locking it sounds like something may be slipping. I would definitely try the lockup switch and validate the TC is locked and staying locked.

Your choice on the TC, BD-Dunrite-DTT-Suncoast to name a few.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
15,499 Posts
I think the responder needs to think about just what they are suggesting. :coocoo

You DO want to know the max temp of the fluid to know if you are breaking the fluid down, and, for a tell tale if you are seeing slippage. Once you get used to seeing the temps on a known good unit, out of range readings trigger a flag. :thumbsup

Second reason, if you are frequently maxing temps you need to change the fluid a lot more often than the FSM reccomends if you want that trans to live a long productive life. ;)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The attaached chart will give you and idea of what high temps do to trans fluid and your transmissions life.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The attaached chart will give you and idea of what high temps do to trans fluid and your transmissions life.

Just for clarification, are those temps in the graph sustained temps or short spikes?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts