Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 5.9 automatic when i pushed it into passing gear i heard what sounded like a belt chirp and the truck quit moving until i let off accellerator. It shifts fine through all gears until it shifts down and you start pushing it then the same thing happens again.Is my tranny done for? it has 170,000 on it. thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Sounds like you need a new torque converter or clutch packs. I would not say the tranny is done for but it isn't exactly cheap to have someone drop a trans for you to and replace a converter. It would be a good idea to have it fixed up sooner than later, before things get worse.

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
It ain't the torque converter. What gear were you trying to downshift too??

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Sounds like it could be second gear band there is an external adjustment that is pretty easy to make on it. I believe its loosen the jam nut tighten to 72inlbs back off 2 turns and tighten jam nut. Maybe someone can confirm that.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Close. 72 inxh pounds and 1-3/4 turn. Just did it on mine and the internal band and the filter hoping it would fix mine that has been sitting half way up the driveway for the last week now.But didn't make any difference. Probably wont help you to be honest. From what I have talked to about everything it sounds like you will be needing a rebuild. Might not need a full rebuild though.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Mine has been doing the same thing since last summer stock or with EFILive, going into getting full rebuild tomorrow morning :shock:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts